Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone fitted SPA mirrors to windscreen uprights?

The Pikey

Best way to do it IMO is to use one of the bolts that hold the upright to the screen (this will suffice). But if you feel you want to, drill another hole, so it comes out just behind the screen, and use an M4 with a wide head in this mount. The angle of the base of the mirror will be slightly out of line to that of the upright . .. see what I mean?

SM25T, those look great. Do they give a better field of view than the Caterham flat door mirrors? Mine are currently festooned with wide angle attachments to get a better view, it makes it look like I've been towing a caravan!

See my Build Cam to check on my Roadsport Sigma. Updated photos!

• Leadership Team

Mine are exactly like SM25T's. Big advanatge is they don't vibrate as much on the door giving a clearer view, but make sure you buy the convex version if it's the formula size you're after. I've used the Racetech mirrors also in the past but IMHO the SPA ones are better.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

My 7 came with Stationary M25 Traveller job complete but when the passenger mirror became a bit loose I slightly overtightend the screw and think I caused a small crack in the windscreen which on my trip to Corsica/Europe this year slowly extended to the bottom of the screen. ☹️ . Insurance job soon.

Be v carefull with screw length / fitting.

Worth having although they do seem to move when we open the doors.

Steve

Northerner in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

Mine is the same as SM25T but only using one screw to fix mirror base. I have never had any issues with the base moving though.

Main disadvantages are I dont get 100% visibility from passenger side mirror which is partly obscured by door frame.

Also, doors cant be opened more than 90 deg without knocking the mirror. Not a problem driver side as I am used to it but passengers are always opening the door too much.

Still a better look then standard fitment IMO

Made mine similar to SM25T's except I made a small sandwich plate that fits in between the mirror base & the stanchion. The plate is secured from the inside of the stanchion using countersunk screws. I felt happier tapping the holes in the plate as the stanchion's not very thick.

D.

I used a very thin piece of rubber between the base of the mirror and the stanchion. This ensured the end of the screws didn't extend past the inside face of the stanchion. Mirrors are rock solid, no matter what speed *thumbup*. The centre mirror vibrates a lot at higher speeds (must get the propshaft balanced soon !). The old CC mirrors on the side doors are hopeless above around 45mph - worse than useless. The convex SPA GT/Le Mans are excellent. Yes - you do lose a bit of view on the n/s mirror, as mentioned above, but it is still better than the door-mounted units !

I fashioned a small bracket out of flat steel that fits between the door hinge and the screen stanshion that the mirror bolts too forwardof the hinge. The plate was then shaped to match the mirror base (so it's small).

My reasons for this are:

To get to the mirror mounts easily as I found people keep knocking my mirror (while leaning into cockpit?) and I had to keep tighten the mirror mount knuckle (which you can only access with the mirror off).

To raise the height and angle of the mirror to see over the rear wing. It took a few goes to get the bracket the right shape/angle for me to use correctly, but once sprayed galv I don't notice it.

One day I'll get around to making my passenger side.

I don't have a photo but I find this works great for me.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Edited by - andy_h on 4 Sep 2008 00:01:42