Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox for 300 bhp

Anthony

The original RST car had the "old" Quaife modified type 9 in as does mine currently.

Looking at the "new" Quaife box the change mechanism is very similar, and playing with on the stand at Autosport I could not discern any real difference between the two. (they had the "old" model there too) The new one is just as "agricultural" as the old one.

The Drenth on the other hand had a very different mechanism and a much lighter, less "clunky" change.

Automated blipping of throttle on the downshift with a sequential box is not a good idea uless you can guarantee you are always going to use the clutch and keep it down while the blipping is happening because there is no neutral position betwen the gears.

One of the plus points with a sequential is that you don't need to as long as you are fairly well on the brakes you just shift down without the clutch.

Edited by - Mike Biddle on 4 Aug 2008 13:18:01

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quirin, you're a dangerous man *wink*

I wish I could be involved. I can't, but that doesn't mean it's not tempting!

Best of luck in getting another 3 people onboard, it'll be fabulous to see these boxes installed in Caterhams, and to hear firsthand accounts on just how good they are, particularly from those currently using Quaifes.

NB - Excellent news if they are shorter, because it means you can also have a carbon propshaft 😬

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 12 Aug 2008 19:24:39

Cheers Mike, *thumbup* That gives a theoretical top speed, at 10,00rpm of 194 mph! *eek*

Not taking into account the aerodynamics of a brick of course. *wink* But at those kind of speeds in a Seven, I'd be making plenty of bricks! 😬

I haven't looked either, but there seems to be plenty of choices regarding ratios, with the Drenth box.

I think I will advertise my 7 and if I can sell it I will have a gearbox. Thanks Mick for our chat, seems I am convinced on the H1, just should I go for the 1000bhp + one, it really is not a lot more *wink* That would make an R2000 😬

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Anyone given any thought as to how your going to pass the SVA emission & noise tests with a new build 7 with one of those fitted 🤔

Is the easy option is buy an old registered chassis & send to back to Arch to be remade as a new chassis, therefore no emissions hassle *confused*

RiF, nice talking to you. Jack has advised me to go for the 2.6 vesion for a road car, as the top ends are virtualy standard, apart from some porting. Then you have a very reliable 420hp. It would be very easy to upgrade later, the 2.8 retains the standard crank, which has 4mm oversize bore. But runs a bit hotter.

My Boss has expressed an interest in putting the 3.0 one into a Seven, as he likes the idea of having the same power as his Lambo in a Seven!

I'll see him at the end of the week, and see if he wants me to build two cars, I'll put it to him that I get a H1 and box as payment. Then I can trial fit, and cut my chassis, before ordering his with the mods already done.

Wonder if CC will still sell me an Arch chassis? *confused* They told me it was last chance when I bought mine. But maybe that was salesman getting a sale talk!

Anthony, sorry for the thread hijack!