Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Rear Spoiler !?

SLR69

I am converting a Jaguar for a rally which will cover 2,000 miles over 5 days in Europe in September and decided to customise it a bit including a large rear spoiler and bought a couple of spoilers off eBay.

When one of them arrived it was a brand new black carbon spoiler off a Lotus Exige and I stood it in the garage alongside my Caterham and thought no more of it. The next day I noticed that the carbon pattern matched identically the carbon on my cycle wings, nosecone and dashboard on my Superlight R. For a laugh I thought, I wonder what it would look like if I put it on the boot cover and stood it in place.

Whilst I am bound to get some stick from this post, I thought that it actually sat well, was the right proportions for the car and matched the carbon on the 7 amazingly well.

By amazing coincidence an engineer friend of mine (who also has a Seven) and races an ADR race car which he built including a wicked rear spoiler, was passing at the same time and popped in and commented to me, how well the spoiler looked on the car. I said to him that I only put it on for a joke.

However, he said if I didn't mind if he could take it he would make some brackets up, so that it could be clamped to the roll bar (similar to the mount for the tyre racks), so that the spoiler can be fitted and so that the height, angle and position of the spoiler can be adjusted. It could not be fixed to the boot cover and I don't want any holes drilled in the roll bar or the car as I wish the car to remain original but thought that a rear spoiler that could be easily clamped on or off would be okay.

I should therefore be getting the spoiler back on Sunday together with fitted brackets professionally made by a race engineer which will be powder coated in black to match the rollbar which whilst aesthetically I think will look quite good, (albeit some will say it is "naff/too kevy"), has anyone ever seen a Seven with a rear spoiler before, racing or otherwise ?

In theory it should make a difference at high speed and certainly having driven an Exige on circuit with and without a spoiler it does, so why not on a Seven ?

I am going to test it on a track to see what if any difference it makes to the down force, handling, lap times, etc but am interested if anyone has come across anything similar before ?

Edited by - SLR69 on 27 Jun 2008 16:24:52

Edited by - SLR69 on 27 Jun 2008 16:26:01

Edited by - SLR69 on 27 Jun 2008 16:26:50

Edited by - SLR69 on 27 Jun 2008 16:45:52

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the prob with the 7 was front end lift esp. if you fit a diffuser. I imagine a spoiler might be cheaper than a diffuser though and maybe reduce drag a little perhaps. Sort of thing you'd hope they tried though when whoever it was put the 7 in a wind tunnel a while back. Will RiF / Len Unwin be along or Gary May perhaps to shed light on their aero experiences?

On a related note and to prove that ebay and alcohol do not mix, I'm now the proud owner of a Jordan F1 rear wing in pretty carbon fibre.

I was planning on hanging it in the garage but I think I'll be tempted to hold it up against the 7 to see what it looks like 😬 pics to follow!

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

I've ridden in that green R500 at Oulton and it was very quick..aren't they all *confused*. It belonged to a guy who owned an engineering business over Macclesfield way ISTR. He reckoned the wing did make a difference to his lap times which were well down in the 1.50's. Last time I saw him he was awaiting delivery of one of those Jag engined sportcars-Palmer JP1 I think, so he could go a bit quicker *eek*

The green bewinged R500 was sold off at a bonkersly cheap price a couple of years ago - c£18K IIRC - complete with trailer (minno shuttle IIRC), several sets of wheels, R101 engine, and various other bits. Has to be the best bargain I've even seen as far as Caterhams goes.

[Peter C mode] actually... what you have there is a wing not a spoiler... spoilers are designed to spoil the lift effect produced by the shape of the car. They are often just little strips on the back end of the car. Think of the pop up spoilers on porker boxsters or gaymans. The Caterham 7 doesn't have a nice smooth wing shaped body that will benefit from a spoiler. A wing however is designed in it self to produce downforce.[/PC mode]

Still... a picture of it in place would be nice to giggle at. As for the handling effects on track. As mentioned I think the problem is front end lift, and producing some downforce on the back of the car will just make the balance even worse, I would guess.

Maybe you need to get some mounts welded onto the front of the car by arch and then buy a F3 wing assembly off ebay and attach that...

Photos of the prototype rear wing now here *smile*!

Caterham 7 Prototype Rear Wing

Supports sprayed black but clamps to roll bar yet to be sprayed but photos will give an idea.

The wing can be lowered or raised from the bottom of the roll bar to the top as required, i.e, so a Soft Bits for Sevens Boot Bag can still be fitted for example.

Road test to follow this week !

IIRC it was the wing supports that collapsed rather than the wings themselves, with Lotus anyway, though I did see some others where the actual wing fractured in the middle.

Alan

Teenage dreams, so hard to beat.

Like Will, I was prepared for a chuckle but agree completely with his comments. I'm undecided whether the look of a wing is my cup of tea or not either, but have to admit it suits the car well and looks a lot more 'factory fitment' than I was expecting *thumbup*

Atoms seem to suit wings particularly well. Especially at the front. I'd often wondered what seemed to be lacking when I looked at them before - now I know *smile* They overall shape of the car looks more balanced to me.

Darren E

Superlight R #54

BLIMEY !!!!! - Seen the cost of those Atom CF wings??? - £3,8211.11!!!!! 😳 - They do look good on the Atom (not my thing on a Seven) and if well set-up, they must improve handling performance, but almost 4 grand?????!!!!!!

DVA K05 1.6 It's a 187bhp screamer!!!here

Good grief! How much?! *eek*

That's outrageously expensive. I suppose they're big items so there's a lot of material but even so..

If I had 4 grand gathering interest, I think I'd prefer to spend it on the engine or a sequential box *wink*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 7 Jul 2008 17:00:45

The 4 grand on an atom is for both front and rear but still expensive when you can get those lovely caterham cf nose cones from bryn ? for 350 quid ish. I bet he could mould them though for a lot less.

I do think on a black atom they look great but not so good on the yellow one.

To my eye the fronts work on an atom because they have a sort of F1 style nose and I am not so sure they would work on a standard caterham nose. It does make me wonder what a caterham would look like with a more pointy atom style nose but hope Mr A isn't reading this or I will be in trouble.

Will

Will

SLR69. It's a bit high on the left hand side mate, just drop it down a tad would ya? 😬

Have you had a look at mounting it on the front somehow?

It does look rather nice. Is it real carbon, 🥰 or look alike?

Academics are seldom any use at engineering. One must have a mistrust of theorists. (Keith Duckworth)