Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Gearbox/Diff Combo - What are you using?

rgrigsby

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the best gearbox/diff combination for a Duratec I just thought it might be intersting to get a thread with a summary of what people have ended up with for comparison purposes.

I'll start with mine

RaceCo 2.3l Duratec approx 260bhp/200lbft

BGH Sporting close 5 speed

2.66 1st

0.86 5th

3.92 ZF Plate type diff

13*205/55 CR500's on the rear

Anyone else out there? 😬

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 13 Jan 2008 15:37:07

2.0 duratec 185bhp

BGH Pro Road and Track with alloy main case

Ratios - 1st (2.66:1), 2nd (1.75:1), 3rd (1.21:1), 4th (1.00:1), 5th (0.86:1)

Std diff 3.92:1

13" wheels , 205/60 tyres on the rear

Seems to work well although interested to try Timbo's setup as a comparison although definitely not convinced this engine warrants a 6 speed.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

RaceCo 2.2l Duratec, approx 300bhp/210lbft

SPC type-9 straight cut dogs 5 speed (rebuilt once with little wear)

2.2 1st, 0.86 5th

3.92 ZF plate type (rebuilt once with lots of wear)

13" wheels, mainly 6" ACB10, occasionally 8" ACB10 or for road 205/55 CR500

I think mine has an unusually high 1st. It seems to work fine, I certainly wouldn't want it any lower. Would prefer more of an overdrive for road use.

Race*** 2.3l Duratec, approx 280bhp/215lbft

R&R type-9 straight 5 speed

2.66 1st, 0.86 5th

3.92 diff

13" * 8" ACB10 for track, for road 205/55 CR500

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Edited by - MikeE on 14 Jan 2008 17:58:54

2.0L w/ Jenvey (via SBD) injection, headers, HP don't know / Torque don't know - never dynoed, but it runs like a raped ape *smokin*

Bog std. "close ratio" Sierra 5 speed, 2.80 1st & .82 5th

3.62 LSD

13" Barnbys all around w/ Avon bias ply slicks at this moment

Looking to do a gearbox switch when the Raceco motor project is done. I'm thinking 5 speed H pattern Quaife dog box w/ tall 1st (2.06 or thereabouts) because the track is the only place I drive the car now (except for the occasional trip to the market).

-------

Chris

Ad majorem 7 gloriam

Rob, not necessarily. Maybe it's just a common offered option for a "high first" and nobody insists otherwise? Why not try my 2.2 - I don't think it's too low at all, so it definitely makes a closer shift to 2nd. I had all the ratios somewhere, I'll dig it out.

To be fair Danny, you could get away with a 1:1 first gear with these torquey lumps you keep spec'ing.

FWIW the other 2 duratec cars I've got at the moment have the BGH tall first box's - one of which has done 30ish trackdays on the back of one of Ammo's lower powered engines (a 220bhp 2.0) without a hint of problem.

😬 Danny

Didn't he gutless wonder manage to destroy 8 tyres in 500 miles at Spa last year? Yep you really missed that 15 ft lb 😬

Anyway in answer to the original question:

I have one of those Raceco 2 litre Duratecs with 260 bhp 180 ft lb 2 litre with a BGH Sporting Close with

3.92 diff no LSD

As the engine now has the ability to rev to 8,500 rpm I use it as a 4 speed box and use fifth for motorways and tooling around. If I was serious I would have a closer fifth and lower diff with an LSD. What I have suits me fine and I have no intention of changing anything in the engine and gearbox department. But that's what I always say!

Ammo

Raceco.com

Edited by - AMMO on 15 Jan 2008 08:15:04

Ammo - I think you're really missing out with the LSD. Why deprive yourself of more cheap fun? It makes it easier to drive if anything - more predictable and playful at the same time, and no bloody annoying spinning inside. A powerful Elise just about gets away without one, but not a powerful Caterham! And anyway, you have tried one - didn't you do a few laps of Brands in my car?

Danny

Yes I did do some laps at Brands in your car. Do you really think I knew what I was doing? In the the few laps I did I was mainly trying to stay out of people's way and bring the damn thing back to the pit lane in one piece. No time to make a decision on the LSD as I was concentrating on trying to use all the revs at least a few times and not go into the back of anyone, into the armco or the gravel trap.

It was a relief getting out of the car because I really don't like the responsibility of being at the controls of somebody else's expensive bit of kit especially as we had some sort of "you bend it, you mend it" agreement.

There is a long list of other stuff to do to the car before I get around to an LSD. Maybe one day. I enjoy it a lot as it is and there is a perverse sense of pleasure whizzing past someone when you have a screen, clamshells, a spare wheel carrier, "only" a 2 litre Duratec and no LSD 😬

Ammo

Raceco.com