Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling 2.0L Duratec owners

timbo

Danny,

Thanks. If I was wanting a 260bhp, which would you go for?

Would a 2.0 at that spec be too gutless? I just think the 2.3 is a bit agricultural in a nimble car. No offence to anyone. Would like to know why TimBo has changed from 2.3 to 2.0.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had both a 226bhp Raceline 2.0 and my home assembled 260bhp spec 2.3 so I think I can be objective. Firstly the 2.3 can and does fit into the narrow chassis, as Mic who has built several with great success can attest. As to agricultural, the 2.3 is hardly that, yes it is marginally less sweet tan the 2.0 as a revver, but it is a fair bit torquier. It probably weighs about 5-7kgs more due to a heavier crank and the extra 12mm of block height.

The 2.0 is great, in 226bhp spec it was under stressed, easy to live with and more than torquey enough to spin up my slicks in 3rd at the race circuit here. I actually think my 2.3 has too much horsepower, I never thought I would ever say that, but it is a monster on the track (and I come from a superbike background). Maybe I just don't drive it enough.

So given all that if I had a chance to do it all again, I would probably build a 2.0 to 250bhp spec like the one AMMO just did, as I think this would be a really decent combination of horsepower and torque. But then BYKer Will has tempted me towards the Pinto *tongue*

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*

I've been running a 260bhp 2.3 Duratec for 2.5 years now, I suspect the people who've been in my car will probably confirm it's not really agricultral 😬

It's a great road/track engine as you have loads of power but you can also laze about at lower revs on the road with no effort. Other than a timing chain glitch I've had no problems at all and even that is something that people are aware of now and there is a fix for, as a fairly early adopter I've been very pleased.

Having said that I suspect a 2.0l 250ishbhp engine will be a lovely choice for in a se7en.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I think people who claim the 2.3 is agricultural have never driven one. I was joking about the 2.0 being gutless; anything with 170ish lbft of torque is going to feel fast in a Caterham. It's easier to appreciate midrange torque than top end power I think anyway.

Here is a more direct way of seeing the midrange; three 250ish bhp engines; a 2.3, 2.0 and a 1.9K. You can see the larger capacity engine has more torque everywhere, especially from 4k onwards which you use on track. The top end 7000 to 7500 are identical.

Three 250bhp engines

Rob - YHM?

Simon, from my understanding the problem is in the tensioner, at very high revs, if you come off the throttle you can get a bit of backlash in the chain, which can cause the ratchet in the tensioner mechanism to loose a tooth or two. Its not a catastrophe, Peter from Raceline has developed a simple modification to the standard tensioner, that stops this happening. It can be retrofitted with engine in place, just a matter of taking of the front crank pulley and camchain cover.

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*

Interesting.....

I noticed recently while checking my change light was working in top gear *wink* that when I lifted off the oil pressure dropped and then returned.....

I'm also getting a ticking noise which I'm having a problem tracking down and my next target for investigation was the timing chain etc.

I wonder if this is related......

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

The ticking could just be one of the buckets being a bit out of tolerance. I would be surprised if your tensioner has gone at your state of tune Simon. I believe the problem is at higher revs above say 7400rpm and predominantly on the 2.3

I knew I had some pictures, so have posted the raceline modified tensioner here. That should explain it.

Opposite Lock... Unlike a other engines, you can fix the only minor flaw on the engine in about 30 minutes and for about £30 *tongue* No cheese here and if you don't understand that comment you need to do more reading *tongue* *thumbup*

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*

Tell me, for a 250/260bhp 2.0 Duratec, do you need bigger valves and a ported head, or will the head flow enough standard?

I want 250/260bhp, but don't know what way to go about it. I don't like the 2.3, but I do like it's torque. I like to slide, and low down grunt is easier to slide with, than high revving peaky power.

At the minute, the 2.0 sounds like the best option.

TimBo,

Is that why you've demoted to the 2.0?

I do like the sound of extra torque of the 2.3, but don't know if it justifies its existance. The 2.0 is a nice, neat install, but the 2.3 is just a tad coarse.

I assume the porting is not major, just cleaning up the ports and maybe enlarging throats a tad?

good trolling there Ol 😬 you had them going a treat there for a while 😶‍🌫️

I guess you are k series ( probably 1900cc ) owner in denial *rolleyes* *tongue*

see you one track ........please be so kind as to let us Duranail owners past without wasting too many laps stuck behind you *smokin*

If It aint yellow, wonky and wobbly................ 😬

Dobuy

Well I don't rev mine that high......still on std cams so no point.

Out of tolerance bucket was another target on my list

It does sound as though it is coming from the exhaust side of the engine, and yes I've already replaced exhaust gasket to see if that cured it.

Anyway engine is coming out this winter during the annual tidy up so hopefullly we will get it sorted one way or the other.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here