Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec 2 litre at Emerald today

AMMO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update.

Just received the plenum, throttle body and filter from Darren.

Thanks Darren. *thumbup*

Firtst impressions are very good. Ports and throttle body size are on the generous side. It could have some good potential. Won't have time to put it on the flowbench until I have got a couple of other jobs out of the way.

Very tempted to try it on my engine to see what happens.

AMMO

There is nothing wrong with the ecu you have Pat. Its just been told to do the things that are not optimal for your engine

Its a bit like saying, would Blatchat be better if I bought a new PC 😬

you can get your present ecu remapped at Steve Greenalds (amongst others)- this may improve driveability and no dobt make more power on steves rollers *wink* as the ecu will then be calibrated to your individual engine.

If It aint yellow, wonky and wobbly................ 😬

Wonkster, thats fine assuming it has not been reflashed with a bespoke firmware that can't be remapped or reflashed with some std software to allow remapping - been there checked that with the CSR.

It may be different with the R400 though...

The plenum weighs about 5.5 kilos with the K&N filter. Bit porky in comparison to my prototype direct to head throttle bodies. They come in at 2 kilos with bellmouths but no filter. The 45/48 mm DTH TBs with bellmouths are about the same at 2.1 kilos. An air filter would probably add another half kilo. If you had an airbox to quieten it down it would probably be 2 kilos on top max. Probably less. So maybe a total of 4.5 kilos for DTH TBs and an airbox in comparison to 5.5 kilos for the plenum. If you rand TBs with an air filter and put up with the noise you would save around 3 kilos.

I suppose the object of the excercise is to see how much can be extracted from a Duratec with plenum. Also to keep the induction quiet. There are also some countries that don't take kindly to modifications at all. So there could be a market for some "cheater" engines.

I'm a bit confused between the R400 and the CSR 200. If I understand correctly the R400 has a 2 litre, 210 bhp wet sump engine. The CSR 200 has a 200 bhp 2.3? Is this correct? Is the 2.3 wet or dry sump? Do they have the same plenum? Is there more than one type of plenum?

I don't ever get to see any engine installations so I'm not quite sure what is fitted as standard. I've had very little involvement with the Cosworth engines apart from a customer in Germany and one in Italy. The German guy has a US sourced engine that had different internal parts to the UK CSR 260. The Italian customer wanted to keep his EU4 engine looking stock from the outside. I took some parts over to Italy for him that he will be fitting this winter. Nice bloke. His wife gave him the car as a present. Nice wife! He obviously married well.

We talked about testing his head and plenum at some point during the winter. I have the plenum to test now but am not sure of the level of work on the heads on the stock Caterham supplied engines. I suppose that if you have to fit pistons, rods and cams the head has to come off anyway so you can have a look. The head porting, if needed, isn't going to come to that much anyway.

After a heavy duty flowbench session on some Jaguar heads one or possibly two motors in the flowbench have burnt out. Need to fix it before we can do any testing but as I have already said the plenum Darren supplied looks very good so I am quite optimistic.

More news will come when it is available.

AMMO

Ammo,

R400 is a different set up - it does not use the cosworth intake setup, its slightly smaller butterfly too.

R400 is 210 bhp (Wet Sump)

CSR200 2.3l is 200bhp (Dry Sump)

I believe that the CSR200 is in a deliberate low state of tune - set up to give reliability as well as EU4 for export. It would have been interesting to see how a remap would have performed on the standard setup.

Fitting TB and a remap put me 30bhp short of the 260, this is no doubt mainly due to cam profile. (The CSR200 does not have forged pistons) - something on my list of things to do.

Darren

Thanks Dave *thumbup*

The R400 plenum looks a lot smaller and skimpier than the CSR 200 one. Probably to fit under the confines of the narrow bodied car. The throttle body looks smaller too.

Would be nice to test an R400 plenum and throttle body as well if anybody has one kicking about.

I would like to fit both plenums to a 160 cfm head on the flowbench. 160 cfm (at 10" water) is the first level of affordable porting with stock valves that most people end up having. It's what I have on my own road car so it would be a sensible test to do. The 210 bhp heads have less work because they don't need all that flow to make 210 bhp. The 300 bhp heads have bigger valves and seats. Could also try the plenums on the lower and higher spec. heads as well to see what happens.

Got to fix the flowbench first. Have set tomorrow morning aside to do it. If we can get it going again I might be able to get some testing done on the CSR 200 plenum tomorrow as well.

Can anybody loan me an R400 plenum to test please?

AMMO

• 4 weeks later...

Flowbench now fixed.

I have a 1930's six cylinder MG and a Peugeot 16 valve head to test that should have been done weeks ago. Once those are out of the way I should be able to test the Duratec plenum. Hopefully before next weekend.

Quite looking forward to see how it performs. I'll post results as soon as I know.

AMMO

For those who are interested. Tested the CSR 200 plenum this morning.

The bare head with a radiussed inlet flowed 252.25 cfm (cubic feet per minute). With the plenum, throttle body and filter this went down to 225.22 cfm. The tests were done at 25" of water. Coverting these to 10" gives 159.65 cfm and 142.54 cfm respectively.

In theory 159 cfm is good for approx. 274 bp and 142 cfm with the plenum, 245 bhp.

My gut feeling is that the standard plenum will be good for over 240 bhp on a ported head with a set of decent cams.

It would be interesting to test the R400 manifold and throttle body. Looking at the picture of it I doubt it will be as good as the CSR 200 one but it would be intersting to try it just the same.

Anybody got an R400 plenum knoking around?

AMMO

Practical Perfomance Car.

Must nip out and get a copy.

Thanks for letting me know Tony *thumbup*

Brent

Yes yesterday was busy. Got a lot done and was still working at 8pm last night and was back on the case at 6 am this morning.

I'm working on the next must-have uber component for the Duratec. Seeing as you can't buy stuff that actually works I'm going to have to make all the damn bits myself!

AMMO