Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec 280bhp - Gearbox Options?

MikeE

I'm thinking ahead here to the gearbox options for a 2.3l Duratec with 280-300bhp, what are the options, the driving experience (or short comings) and costs?

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Peter it's 90% track work

The only gearboxes I've experienced are the CC 6 speed in a Superlight and my BHG 5 speed in my Duratec....

I won't something that's strong, reliable, suits the Duratecs power/torque delivery and not hugely expensive - guess I would liek to try a sequential but think it'd probably fall short on a number of the above (especially affordabiltiy ☹️

here

Mike, I think the Quaife 6-speed sequential is what you want, as you're looking for mainly track use.

Speak to Gary May at Freestyle. He's got a cracking promo video for his own products that features Brodie Branch on the Brands GP circuit in his 250bhp Duratec c/w said Quaife 'box. It's a very quick system (Think of your lap times!)

I nearly went for it when speccing my Duratec engined Freestyle car, but as I wanted a more road-friendly version I opted for the BGH 5-speed.

Mike - you're welcome to have a go in mine. Brands on Wednesday? *cool* The dog box is a bit noisy, but then so is an aeroscreened car with an exhaust by your ear! I hardly notice any more after a couple of years. Or maybe I'm just deaf 😬

So dare I ask how much is the Quaife 5 or 6 speed sequential *smile*

Danny will drop you an email about Wednesday later today....

here

Edited by - MikeE on 14 May 2007 09:18:11

Talk to Steve at SPC if you want a alloy box Quaife dog box. He sometimes has them available for a very good price. *wink*

I've gone for a Caterham 6 speed with 3.38 diff for my 250BHP Vx because I want a good road car. The Elite sequential was fun but the novelty soon wore out. I'm not convinced there is a significant performance gain from the sequential over a H pattern dog box. I'm actually quite happy to go back to an H-pattern box. If it's 90% track use, I'd go for a Quaife 5 speed Dog box with a 3.92 diff and accept the clunky change and noise on the road.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 14 May 2007 09:46:36

I understand the new Quaife 5 speed box is rated to 350bhp, has an alloy case so is light and reasonable on the road, I think Caterham are going to use it in their next car? Anyway it's £2,500+VAT

Anyone have any views on it as it seems a good option and relatively good value?

here

• 3 weeks later...
Talk to Steve at SPC if you want a alloy box Quaife dog box. He sometimes has them available for a very good price.

Can someone give me the number for SPC so I can see what they have available?

here

Caterhams 6 speed is fine if you do not rev your engine beyond 8000rpm, otherwise the centrifugal forces come into play and reduce box life. Horsepower does not kill the 6 speed but revs do.

It is a fine box in the right application and the ratios might not suit you specific needs as it has no overdrive gearing and just a 1-1- sixth. *thumbup*

Elite boxes are also good but are a little fragile at that torque and horsepower so best to avoid.

Quaife sequential boxes are bl**dy heavy and have a dicky reputation at this power level also. *confused*

It is not so much the box that you have to consider but the quality and size of the gears that are in the box that will give you reliability.

Drength boxes have huge gears and much bigger bearings that overcome the failures and reliability problems that some big power 7's suffer from.

Best to speak to independant dealers who can offer you constructive advice. *idea*

R500 260 BHP Mango Madness

Peter T -

" Quaife sequential boxes are bl**dy heavy and have a dicky reputation at this power level also."

I own one of these and would be interested to hear what you have heard about them. Mine is the ex freestyle/ brodie branch car mentioned earlier in the thread, would love to hear about others experience of them.

Dave J

What's the Quaife pro-box?

Spoke to Len Unwin @ Quaife today about the new 5 speed synchro box rated to 375bhp but unfortunately the earliest this will be available is September - don't care how good it is I can't bare to be off the track that long 😬

here

LSB, having installed a quaife sequential that had just been re-built and given a clean bill of health from a fellow 7 owner i thought that i would have no problems with it.

It leaked more oil out of the speedo drive which had a new seal in?

But what happened at 154 MPH is the box siezed solid on the rolling road !!!

It was not pleasant and after spendind another £2K at quaife to repair it and no reason given or any busted parts back, that kind of made up my mind at maybe they are a little quirky.

Several other members have had major issues also with the box. *confused*

R500 260 BHP Mango Madness

LSB, don't worry about your box - I have had no problems with the quaife seq box in 4 years of trackday and occasional sprint use at 180+lbft torque and am very happy to continue using it. I know others in use also with no probs and can only assume that Peter was unlucky.

L7 FUN