Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX1600 register

IKB

I have been amazed at the number of visitors (233 in 2 days) to my topic on live axle manuals/parts list. There is obvious a lot of interest in these earlier Classic cars.

As a "new boy" (its been a long time since anyone called me that!) I ask if anyone has considered a register for these cars?. The MGCC have a system for Midgets, A's, B's etc where common interests can be aired and info on bits etc can be gleaned. I do not wish to step on anyones toes or protocol so apologise in advance if I am.

I have a lot of spare time and would act as a co-ordinator person. i would suggest VX1600 as a start as there are fewer of these. My car was a 2001 kit chassis 22090 and could have been almost the end. How many of these are there?

Good point. Whilst there is quite a lot of info for the VX1600, it doesn't seem to get as much coverage as other variants. I suspect this is due to the number produced (compared to X-flows & K Series), age and general reliability of the VX lump.

For info, mine is a Dec 2001 Beaulieu, chassis no 22255.

Good luck with your quest *thumbup*

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

S7 RUN,

I asked MEOW the exact same question on Friday and got the excellent info below.

Cheers Simon:-

Hi Simon,

I used Ivor Searle for the head work. You need to ask to speak to Trevor Gibley, he will sort everything out for you. It cost me £460 Inc vat which included stripping old valve/springs and fitting the new ones.

I tried to use parts from Vauxhall where i could but i guess it doesnt really matter. So bought the following from Vauxhall:

Valve stem seals

Cam Front Oil Seal

Cam Rear Oil seal

Head Gasket

Rocker cover gasket

Head bolts

Head sealing compond

Inlet manifold gasket ~£4

Exhaust manifold gasket ~£7

Oil Filter ~£4

Oil £17

I also bought a few tools but nothing too expensive.

Total for this lot was £152 Inc Vat.

I sourced a AST15 Cam kit from PeterLoyd ralling priced at £324 inc vat (it actually comes with a front oil seal and a new rocker cover gasket which i didnt know about, so can remove from list above).

Total: £936

You can probably do it slightly cheaper if you source patent parts.

Next step for me is to get it on the rolling road after 3000 miles of running then see how much she is putting out!

Edited by - The Naked Engineer on 29 Jul 2008 08:42:23