Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fatal flaw in Duratec

Dobuy

Caused by the idiot driver....

Managed to crack my block today on the track, ran over some very bumpy rumble strips, smacked the Raceline Dry Sump and cracked the block, just at the sump join face.

Didn't think I hit it that hard, so off to the garage to whip out the engine. Pictures to follow.

Anyone got a cheap 2.3 block ??????

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Indeed. I was sitting next to Dobuy when it happened- I hope my weight was not a contributory factor 😳

As I said, thanks very much Dobuy for meeting up with me, the chats and the hot laps- great fun *wink*, but obviously a shame regarding the aftermath ☹️.

Hopefully will catch up next Sat for the Golf racing.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance with either.

MikeK

Neil, you probably know this but I was told today that the 2.3l is now becoming difficult to get hold of - do you still have a supply as I'm finding it impossible to resist the temptation to upgrade so want to start collecting the bits *wink*

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Edited by - MikeE on 20 Jan 2007 18:10:25

Here are some pics of the damage here and here

Looks like a new block to me, don't think it can be welded. Hope the smack did not damage the crank. I will take the sump off tomorrow and have a look to see how bad it is.

Mike, I had heard 2.3's were harder to get than a 2.0, might have to spring for a short engine, then I will have a spare crank *tongue*

Edited by - Dobuy on 20 Jan 2007 19:20:39

Neil

Bad luck. I would attempt to weld it. In extreme cases you can just build up with weld and re-machine. Shouldn't be a problem. I've repaired stuff lik this in the past. As for the crank, if there is no damage to the pulley it's unlikely that it has been damaged. I can't see from the pics.

You are not looking for an excuse to spend some money are you? New crank perhaps? 😬

AMMO

Fwiw, crate engines are available for about $2100 (US - about £17.50 😳) or so. I couldn't find much online when looking for just a long block. I used the following number for the crate engine (found in our NASA - a grassroots racing sanction body, not the space fellas - rules & regs): Duratec 2.3 M-6007-D23

-------

Chris

Blatus vincit omnia

Ok managed to strip it all down this afternoon updated pictures here

Looks like it is not too bad *confused* I think I may be able to get the block welded, the problem is that it is hard to find someone you can trust to do it right out here in Dubai.

Not so sure about the sump, as it has a slight bend in it as well as a crack. I am really glad I found the worn dome head allen bolt in the sump, as I heard a noise just before shutting it down and had visions of damaged cranks etc. It is tempting to try and repair the sump, as I am sure a new pan will not be cheap.

One plus side is I got to have a good look at all the internals and after several (very hot) track days there is negligible wear to the rest of the engine

Neil

I think it is possible to fix. Needs stripping right down cleaning very carefully, welding and machining back. If you are not worried about a repaired block that is probably the way to go. I have a guy I use for welding and we do the machine work in house. If you want to ship it over I'll be happy to have a look at it for you and give you a quote. It has to be cheaper than buying a new block and sump.

AMMO

Thanks for the offer AMMO, I will see how I get on with a local engineering company I have just been told about. Shame I was not more local to you, at least I know it would be in safe hands then. Mind you by the time I shipped it to you and got it repaired, I bet you would have shown me some nice pictures of steel cranks and the moths would be well and truly out of my wallet.

At least in Dubai, you know there is nothing worth buying for a Duratec 😬

Ouch Neil - I'd take the Landcruiser out next time. At least you'd have some ground clearance. I thought the track had been resurfaced? Where are these rumble strips?

I'm out there again 12th Feb (subject to BA strikes) so in case you need anything, let me know.

Cheers

Mike