Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Haybusa SVA today........

Rob Bailey

Failed Unfortunately:

1. Emissions

2. Noise - by 2 db

3. Couldn't test the speedometer - it is fitted to the front wheel (the stack sensor is)

4. Couldn't ratify the age of the engine even though the supplier had put it on his invoice (needs a suzuki letter, suzuki say they cannot tell the age from the engine serial number)

5. Cooling pipe to close to the steering column - no biggie I hope

Anybody got any experience with this that may help?

Especially concerned about items 1, 2 and 4

Thanks in advance - as always

Rob

1999 according to z-cars, tested to the following:

(Other with CAT)

At 2.5K to 3K rpm

CO less than or equal to 0.3%

HC less than or equal to 200 ppm

Lambda Probe - less than or equal to 0.97 - 1.03

At idle (0.45 to 1.5K rpm)

CO less than or equal to 0.5%

I

Squeaked my daughters partners year 2000 ZXR engined DAX through last year. Real killer was the fast idle .3% CO,. its 10 times lower than the bike limit.

SVA specific map was no use, eventually the SVA guys let me lean it off via the lap top and power commander whilst it was running and being tested and then they hit the result button when we touched .3%

Regarding noise we just made an attenuator to stick up the exhaust, but later experiments have shown that reducing the internals to 2 inch helps quite a lot, just under 100db, at 2.5 inch it hits 112 db at the Brands drive by on the main straight

The SVA test centre at Beverly near Hull passed my stack dash (he went through the routine of strapping the car down with the back wheels on the rollers and started it going and remarked that the speedo was not reading anything. When I pointed out that the speedo worked off the front wheels he looked a little pi$$ed off that he'd strapped down the car for nothing. If he'd told me what he was doing I'd have saved him the trouble 😬)

I did need Caterham to send a fax to the test centre to confirm that the dash would read up to the cars estimated maximum speed, they duly sent one that said it was accurate to something silly like 500 mph or more.

Graham W -

When adjusting the levels on the power commander do you just concentrate on the 1500 / 3000 rpm levels or do you need to look at the fuelling level around those points?

What did you take it down to?

-20 ish

Hopefully... I'll get an answer off Caterham today on the speedo, but we'll see

"The expensive answer is write to Sukuki and they tell you from the engine

number (which is stamped on the gearbox casing, and will be mostly obscured

by the electric reverse, if you partook of such). 70GBP is the

'administration charge' although how much administration can typing a number

into a computer take?"

Which might not help, if they now say they can't tell from the engine no.

Yep, pretty expensive for a letter - £70?

When I spoke to Suzuki, they denied all knowledge of being able to get the age from the serial number, but why stick a fecking serial number on an engine if they cannot trace where it went? I think they just can't be ars*d, which is nice.

Spoke to Caterham about the speedo calibration check and they told me all the other SVA can check it. The SVA inspector denied this was true - so this looks like another dead end.

I really feel it is like a wee game for the SVA, they know full well that I will be making it non-SVA compliant as soon as I get the certification. They have different emmision rules for motorbikes than they do cars with motorbike engines - Are they short of common sense I wonder!

Not Happy ☹️

Take to a another SVA place? Radical had many cars through SVA but their usual place was busy when they booked mine in. The new place came up with plenty of things to fail on so there seems to be plenty of inconsistency.

Unfortunately not, all my mates think I am a bit weird putting a motorbike engine in a car I built myself.

The Westfield chaps have advised I take the fuel pressure down to about 13 PSI. Will take it to a freindly garage next week to get it tested.

No solutions on the stack wheel speed calibration or proof of engine age yet though....