Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading 5 speed 'box - suggestions/advice please

Nifty

I am about to strip my car down to nuts and bolts in order to get the appalling powder coating and sideskin corrosion sorted (for a few years anyway). Whilst it's in pieces I intend to do a few upgrade jobs and minor alterations and one of the considerations that has crossed my mind is whether to have the 5 speed gearbox ratios changed.(I just can't stretch to a Caterham 6 speed ☹️ ☹️)

Having a 1.4 Supersport, the current, standard ratio set leaves a little to be desired. First is too low and the jump thereafter a little too big. However, I do like the overdrive 5th for long distance drives (my family are fairly well dispersed around this country and even foreign heathen lands (Wrexham 😳)).

What ratios should I consider and why (a leading line for PC...I hope *thumbup*) - the car is primarily a road car and will stay so, though I do intend to start doing some track work once it's back together and the bank balance is back to black. The car currently runs on 14" minilites with RE720s or 13" R500 mags with A032Rs (but using 205/65 at the rear to maintain correct speedo reading...and also because that was what Richard had to sell me at the time *thumbup*). The diff is standard 1.4SS ( *confused*) as far as I know.

I'd also welcome suggestions regarding who I might approach - budget is small, but I don't mind paying for a job well done.

Is there a suitable 6 speed that is significantly cheaper than the Caterham item? Would it have an overdrive cruising gear for top?

Am I getting out of my depth?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Nifty.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I'm a fan of the Mazda Box.. RX7..Light, indestructible and the ratios are wee bit closer than the inapropriate T9 thing.. shifts faster too:-), trying is believing.. Might fit ..Dunno tho... but Mazda and Ford are Related.

For a 6 speed.. suggest trying to get a wreckers price on a Honda S2000 trans.. simply cannot cost more than the Cat box.

This question probably betrays my, ahem, mechanical naivety.....but as no one mentions it, I assume a six speed won't easily go in a 1990 ford chassis. Or all of us with battered old crossflows'd be buying up Caterham 6 speeds.

I assume different bellhousing...stick location...propshaft even? Are they for Kseries only?

& Sorry! Put the hijack down to shame and hiding of ignorance! Should I win the lottery, I rather fancy a CC six speed....

The Caterham 6 box will fit a 1990 chassis it's just a bit on the expensive side!!

In terms up upgrade options I'd have a chat with Phil at Road&Race on 01959 525105. I've no idea what's available for a Type 9 but I'm sure there's quite a bit out there and he will know the answer and also give you a decent price.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I spoke to BGH gearsboxes, (they were involved in the design of the 6 speed) they can offer a number of 'first' gears for about £300.

The guy I spoke to did give the impression that you can have pretty much any ratio you wanted for any of the gears. The gears are also helical and therefore as quiet as the standard box if this is an issue.

I havn't got the phone number to hand but do a search on 'BGH' and it should come up.

Tom

Nifty

I'm taking my box to BHG to have all the bits transferred to a Quaife ali casing. At the same time I'm having a higher first gear fitted (2.83 instead of the unuseable 3.36) and some oiling mods.

Cost is £110.00 for the re-build into the new case, high first £160.00, oiling mods £20.00. All plus VAT. Any other bits needed or found to be defective are extra.

I'm taking the Car over to Anglia Sevens on Monday to start on the Duratec conversion. At some stage I will go over to BHG in Kent with my gearbox. If you decide to also go that route I can drop your one off as well.

Are you going to the Cornwallis on Monday? See you there perhaps.

AMMO

We'll chat on Monday Ammo, though transporting stuff round the countryside isn't a problem for me - might do the both in my truck.

But as yet no actual confirmed date for stripping - possibly 2nd weekend of Dec (13/14).

Nifty

I've decided that I'm not talking to you tomorrow. If I ignore you all evening it's because I'm getting in touch with my feminine side.

Please don't take it personally. I've been asured it's only a passing phase.

You bitch.

AMMO

Am in same boat - 5 speed s/s - cant run to buying 6 speed etc. Have noticed references to BGH - or is it BHG - on previous threads - any chance of a contact no. or email address ?

Nifty- would be v. interested to hear of before and after difference and the ratios youve chosen and how much it cost. I'm not too fussed about high 5th= I would like closely stacked 1-5 to keep it in its powerband but all thoughts welcomed on this.

You can talk to either Brian or Chris at BGH - they are the only ones there. I'm picking up my gearbox tomorrow. I'm very happy with the service so far, but the real test will be driving the car. Unfortunately it's going to be a while before I get to do that :-(

Had a chat with Brian this morning, nice chap.

From what he was saying you were there at the time Strangely.

Hmmm, this is going to cost be more than I thought. Not that he's dear but he keeps putting ideas in my head.

What medicine can I take for upgradeitis??

Nifty

No known cure for upgradeitis.

Now that we are talking again, any idea when you are likely to go over to BGH? I'm going over to Anglia Sevens one day next week to take the engine and box out.

Have you taken your car to bits yet?

AMMO