Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow Rocker Cover Gaskets

Terry Field

Having replaced the old cork gasket with a new one, I had the usual problems of getting it oil tight and now have oil all over the engine *mad*

I read an archive thread recommending 'paper' gaskets from Roger King or Redline, so I intend to get one of these asap.

Can anyone advise about fitting them 🤔. Are they fitted 'dry' and do they compress and need tightening in the same way as the cork ones 🤔

Hope you all had a good blat in the sunshine today *biggrin*

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

A good trick I learnt from working on Mini's is to use a little "evo-stick" on the rocker cover and gasket.

Let it "go off" and lightly stick the cork gasket to the cover - then fit the cover to the block.

also - don't overtighten the bolts and crush the cork as this leads to leaks.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

You can always go retro and make your own gaskets with heavy brown paper. It works a treat. In the past you could buy gasket paper if you were really keen, though I never have. Blue hylomar or similar is very good, as long as the surfaces are sound. Previous postings re not overtightening are valid too, and finally anyone who remembers the nasty pressed steel items fitted to 70s triumphs has my sympathies.

You can not use the paper / card gaskets with anything other than an alloy rocker cover which has its bottom machined flat. the cork ones are for the standard rocker covers and have location tabs on the. if you have a standard cover, silicone or other on the cork gasket is your best bet.

John

Stuck mine to the head with instant gasket, let it go off and fitted the cover. No problem. The MOT commented on the "severe oil loss" due to the kink that had developed in the former gasket. Incidentally, had to cut the tabs off on the o/s as they fouled the carbs and subsequently pushed the gasket in, losing the seal.

Mine Farts and Belches

I have fitted the cork gasket using nonsetting gasket goo. It seems to be oiltight (lots of blatting last two days) 😬 but it is messy and I am not too confident of the long term result. One of the problems is that the gasket doesn't seem too well suited to the shape of the cover/head. This may be due to using Camberley Auto Factors version rather than pure Henry Ford.

I reckon the paper gasket solution sounds good if it really is oiltight, doesn't need lots of sticky stuff to fix it and doesn't compress and need constant checking. I'll try that next time.

Thanks for all the ideas guys (and gals *thumbup*)

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

HI ALL.

From experience be cautious using any form of gasket sealant, a gasket if correctly fitted should seal on it's own. I've seen engines put together with sealants and small amounts that have squeezed out on the inside contaminating the oil, ending up in the oil pump and pumps failing with the obvious carnage that causes.

CHEERS

CHRIS

REAL SEVENS HAVE IRON B'LOCKS

Alloy rocker covers are fine if the mating surface is "true", check for distortion or machining marks before assembling, as you may have a problem getting a seal as the paper gaskets mentioned are thinner and have less material to deform into a seal, it may also be worth tightening the screws down in 2 or 3 stages, with a period of time, perhaps an hour or so, between the 1st and 2nd stage, to allow the gasket sealer, if used, to cure a little, torque only to the specified 6lb/in, when I rebuilt my Landcruiser motor Mr Toyota didn't have any sealer used, and it don't leak, amazing, all down to good fitting parts and correct type of gaskets.Regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.