Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Banner Battery - Plastic Terminal Covers

Britspud

I have the same need. Have emailed Tayna batteries who sell these and asked if they can supply - awaiting response. If no luck, will email Banner in Austria but not confident.

If you can’t get hold of the originals, they are an easy thing to 3D print if you remove the need for the hinge (ie make them easier to slot in and out of the holes.)

@graearea Generally covers all mods like this, so I’m sure he could help.

• Thanks 1

this is a safety part and so I wouldn't want to risk it.

3d printed stuff can deal with the under-bonnet temps but the flexy hinge would be difficult to get right as I can't print nylon.

if you're totally stuck, give me a shout (I have a banner myself) but I'd really rather not.

Tayna came back and explained that Banner do not supply spares. Emailed Banner but seems like I should not expect an answer. Jonathan makes a good point and being frank, a) I did not think laterally about that as an option, b) the flip up caps are quick/convenient and c) much less important but even though these are under the bonnet, the caps look neat and better in my view 🙂.  

Have you asked Chris Mintoft at Redline if he stocks either those Banner parts or something very similar?

Whatever battery we use in a Caterham has battery terminals relatively close to the aluminium bonnet, so covering terminals is a wise move.

All of the cheap ones you see on Ebay never fit well.

I'm instinctively thinking this is possible to 3d print with a little creativity - however my ability with cad software isn't amazing (i wouldn't even rate it as reasonable to be honest) so i could be well off the mark. I'll have a look at mine and see if i can come up with a suggestion that @graearea may be happier with.

14 hours ago, graearea said:

3d printed stuff can deal with the under-bonnet temps but the flexy hinge would be difficult to get right as I can't print nylon.

How about a one-piece non-hinging cover that spans the whole battery with prongs that go into the existing slots?

Jonathan

• Like 1

• Area Representative

Why not put a wanted ad on here?  

I’ve thrown several away over the years when I’ve had replacement batteries and usually re-use the old ones as they have the slots cut in them

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nick Chan said:

Why not put a wanted ad on here?  

I’ve thrown several away over the years when I’ve had replacement batteries and usually re-use the old ones as they have the slots cut in them

I was thinking the same Nick, with the short life expectancy of a Banner battery someone must have some kicking around. 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

How about a one-piece non-hinging cover that spans the whole battery with prongs that go into the existing slots?

Jonathan

worst case scenario: it all gets hot. plastic softens and falls out due to air flow, something shorts.

I've no way of testing this stuff. making it is easy. making it safe....

1 hour ago, CAT170 said:

Hi John, I have PM'd you but to be fair, Britspud posted this originally so I will back down if he still wants it. 

Got your PM.  If the OP doesn't come back in, say, a couple of days, it's yours.

JV

Out of curiosity arising from this thread, and looking at how naff the banner covers looked on my car (!) I thought I’d knock up a cover out of PETG and see how it looks. It looks pretty decent for a first attempt, so I think I’m going to keep them!

I get the liability concern from @graearea, but the material is good for 70/80 Deg C and it clips on nice and firmly, whilst being easy to remove if needed. It doesn’t feel like there is much risk with them. Obviously having just done it tonight I don’t know how it would survive a mid summers trackday yet, but it’s hard to imagine it becoming a puddle.

I’d happily provide the CAD files if anyone wants to print them themselves. I’m not really up for doing loads/making money out of this but if any of the people on this thread who have needed the covers would like a pair pm me and I’d be happy to help you out.

IMG_8525.thumb.jpeg.01509593ea42763e98af4ccb2b7d2157.jpeg

IMG_8524.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Britspud said:

Hi CAT170 - thank you. it would be handy...if you're still ok, I will message John and take him up on his very kind offer 🙂 

Of course. I just emailed John to say that I have had an email from Banner UK who will send me a pair of caps. If/when I get them I'll update email details etc. on this chat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Britspud said:

Hi CAT170 - thank you. it would be handy...if you're still ok, I will message John and take him up on his very kind offer 🙂 

Cover on its way to you.  Private message confirms.

JV

Edited by John Vine
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CAT170 said:

Of course. I just emailed John to say that I have had an email from Banner UK who will send me a pair of caps. If/when I get them I'll update email details etc. on this chat

Amazing, well done. They didn't respond to my message...you must have a mole in the org!! 😉