Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres, Tyres, Tyres - Answers From The Webinar

Midas

• Leadership Team

We had a lot of questions at the Webinar from members asking what Caterham was doing to replace Avon tyres on our cars. Simon Lambert has been back in touch and kindly provided the following table showing a read a cross from Avon to Toyo - the new favoured tyre brand going forward. Simon produced the following table

Caterham - New Tyre Table

Here is an Avon-to-Toyo table that was requested by several. Please note, some tyre sizes have changed due to an exact equivalent not being available; most notably the Academy 185/70R13. 

Avon

Size

Toyo Replacement

Toyo Size

ZZS/ZZR

185/55R13

Proxes R888R

185/60R13

ZZS/ZZR

215/55R13

Proxes R888R

205/60R13

ZZS/ZZR

195/50R15

Proxes R888R

195/50R15

ZT7

185/60R14

Proxes Comfort

185/60R14

ZT7

175/65R14

Proxes Comfort

175/65R14

ZT7

155/65R14

Nanoenergy 3

155/65R14

Academy

185/70R13

Proxes CF2

185/60R13

CSR Tyres

As the CSR is still a product for Europe, selecting which of the Toyo options will be appropriate has a homologation impact which again makes things less straight-forward you would hope, so this remains TBA.

• Like 2

• Area Representative

From the Nova Motorsport website:

Nova Motorsport has secured all the residual stock from the Avon & Cooper Motorsport business. This valuable inventory is now located in our newly established UK Distribution Headquarters.

Our new factory is already operational, marking the beginning of an exciting journey. Starting from March 2024, we will begin the process of manufacturing the Avon Motorsport range. With the first tyres anticipated to hit the market in the second half of 2024, these selected product lines will showcase our unwavering commitment to performance, heritage and quality.

11 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

I may be missing something, but if the tyre height changes, the diameter changes, so will the speedo be out ?

Yes. 

For electronic speedometers that means entering s different calibration factor. That can be derived by calculation or by measuring real speed on the road, which is now best done by GPS rather than motorway markers!

For mechanical speedometers it is possible to change the gearing. but I'm not expecting many to do it.

Speedometer Guide.

Jonathan

My recently delivered 420R kit came with the Toyo tyres, which are 60's as opposed to 50's on the original Avon's.  So I just need to calibrate my speedo then, as I assume its electronic being a new build.  

Bigger tyres = greater rolling distance = non calibrated speedo, so would that mean I show a speed slower that real ?

4 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

My recently delivered 420R kit came with the Toyo tyres, which are 60's as opposed to 50's on the original Avon's.  So I just need to calibrate my speedo then, as I assume its electronic being a new build.  

Bigger tyres = greater rolling distance = non calibrated speedo, so would that mean I show a speed slower that real ?

As above: I'd do it by comparing the displayed speed to a known steady speed measured by GPS. Then change the calibration factor by that ratio. And repeat to check.

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

5 hours ago, Ainsley said:

I may be missing something, but if the tyre height changes, the diameter changes, so will the speedo be out ?

It is only a nominal 1.6% diameter difference between the 205/60-13 Toyos vs the 215/55-13 Avons, 9.5mm diameter difference overall (although the actual value may be 17mm compared with the nominal value, from the listed specs). The R888Rs only have a tread width of 185mm vs the 200mm of the ZZSs, though.

Edited by aerobod - near CYYC

Do we know if the tyres have been selected because they're the same size or similar / better grip levels? I'm specifically thinking of the 14" as I've got 14" wheels on my road car and "comfort" tyres doesn't inspire confidence.

Ah, that's a great website, thanks for that recommendation.    So I will be going 0.99 mph slower and gain 4.75mm in ride height.

All in all that's actually a good result, I probably wont bother re-calibrating the speedo then and drive faster at speed bumps 🙂

19 hours ago, Ainsley said:

With luck, CC may have already calibrated the speedo to match the supplied tyres.   Have you asked them whether they did this?

Out of interest, can you tell us what size your Toyo tyres are, and what 6-digit pulse code you have at the moment?   That would be useful info for the Speedometers Guide.  (Part C of the Guide explains how to display the code.)   

JV

21 hours ago, Midas said:

We had a lot of questions at the Webinar from members asking what Caterham was doing to replace Avon tyres on our cars. Simon Lambert has been back in touch and kindly provided the following table showing a read a cross from Avon to Toyo - the new favoured tyre brand going forward. Simon produced the following table

Caterham - New Tyre Table

Here is an Avon-to-Toyo table that was requested by several. Please note, some tyre sizes have changed due to an exact equivalent not being available; most notably the Academy 185/70R13. 

Avon

Size

Toyo Replacement

Toyo Size

ZZS/ZZR

185/55R13

Proxes R888R

185/60R13

ZZS/ZZR

215/55R13

Proxes R888R

205/60R13

ZZS/ZZR

195/50R15

Proxes R888R

195/50R15

ZT7

185/60R14

Proxes Comfort

185/60R14

ZT7

175/65R14

Proxes Comfort

175/65R14

ZT7

155/65R14

Nanoenergy 3

155/65R14

Academy

185/70R13

Proxes CF2

185/60R13

CSR Tyres

As the CSR is still a product for Europe, selecting which of the Toyo options will be appropriate has a homologation impact which again makes things less straight-forward you would hope, so this remains TBA.

Very useful info -- thanks.  Did Simon happen to provide the related speedo calibration (pulse) codes?

JV 

Thanks for this post - really helpful, as I was getting very confused about what tyres to fit.  However, I can't find any Proxes CF2 185/60R13 in stock anywhere.  Has anyone found any??  If not, someone had suggested Yokohama A539 - has anyone used these before or know anything about them?  

14 hours ago, Red B said:

Thanks for this post - really helpful, as I was getting very confused about what tyres to fit.  However, I can't find any Proxes CF2 185/60R13 in stock anywhere.  Has anyone found any??  If not, someone had suggested Yokohama A539 - has anyone used these before or know anything about them?  

IIRC A539 are the control tyre in a number of race series - eg locost.I believe they're a good tyre .I've got some on capri laser alloys i'm about to try fitting to see how they go once I stop panicking about wheel stud length.

• Thanks 1