Click here if you are having website access problems ×

new stupid project needed.

graearea

I'm just tuning my G-Meter https://www.instagram.com/p/CyYu69ooyzO/ that has been quite good fun. I think it maybe needs a button to set the g-limit from 1 to 1.5, or maybe I can just make it intelligently increase it where needed (I'm using a £10 13x8 led panel so I'm quite limited)

I'm rebuilding my indicator unit but waiting for heavier duty cabling as it's been a bit flaky due to cables flexing and eventually becoming inconsistent https://www.instagram.com/p/CyltY0loFpm and indicating and not being 100% sure it's going to do the blinky thing is quite distracting.

I've been working on the indicators for a year or two and they work brilliantly 99% of the time, but ..... that's not good enough. I think the haptic feedback will help

anyhow. I've been playing about with 24H (quite chunky "high torque" small electric stepper) motors recently and I've been thinking that active aero would be relatively easy to do, but completely pointless. the main problem (aerodynamically) with the car is nose lift at speed. I could maybe come up something that dropped an air dam, or an air scoop or a mechanical middle finger? .... 🤷‍♀️

any stupid ideas? I love me a stupid idea. here's my most recent redesign of someone else's stupid idea: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyEKS92sJu0/

J

• Like 1

Stupid idea?

I've read a lot of posts about oil temperature and how a lot of folk fit a dam in front of the oil radiator for road use - then remove it for track use. I've looked at my 420 and wondered whether an oil radiator dam that is controllable from the cockpit might be possible (and worthwhile??). Perhaps an aluminium plate, hinged at either end with a Bowden cable running up to the driver's footwell?

Probably a stupid idea (definitely in my case since I haven't done the oil temp mod yet!)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, graearea said:

anyhow. I've been playing about with 24H (quite chunky "high torque" small electric stepper) motors recently and I've been thinking that active aero would be relatively easy to do, but completely pointless. the main problem (aerodynamically) with the car is nose lift at speed. I could maybe come up something that dropped an air dam, or an air scoop or a mechanical middle finger? ....

Have you got the aerodynamic studies? IIRC they were published in Low Flying.

Jonathan

• Like 1

17 hours ago, graearea said:

I'm just tuning my G-Meter https://www.instagram.com/p/CyYu69ooyzO/ that has been quite good fun. I think it maybe needs a button to set the g-limit from 1 to 1.5, or maybe I can just make it intelligently increase it where needed (I'm using a £10 13x8 led panel so I'm quite limited)

How about using a smart 'phone as the display?

Jonathan

1 hour ago, AlastairA said:

Stupid idea?

I've read a lot of posts about oil temperature and how a lot of folk fit a dam in front of the oil radiator for road use - then remove it for track use. I've looked at my 420 and wondered whether an oil radiator dam that is controllable from the cockpit might be possible (and worthwhile??). Perhaps an aluminium plate, hinged at either end with a Bowden cable running up to the driver's footwell?

Probably a stupid idea (definitely in my case since I haven't done the oil temp mod yet!)

I love this idea! I have that problem. I’d imagine waterproofing would be a nightmare. 🤔

3 hours ago, ScottR400D said:

No point having an adjustable oil cooler blind. There’s no need for a cooler on the road and it’s a few minutes work to remove a fixed blind for track use. 

which part of "stupid" did you not get 😄

I had to look up the word and it's Chindogu

I got a bit bored today so made some press-fit dust caps cos I HATE getting my fingers dirty with those stupid things

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyoKM7Bohrk/

I think reversing cameras are available for reasonable money as are actual g-meters on your phone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR400D said:

No point having an adjustable oil cooler blind. There’s no need for a cooler on the road and it’s a few minutes work to remove a fixed blind for track use. 

I do this all the time Scott. But it’s boring and it’s a faff. If I could “flick a switch” and go from covered oil cooler to uncovered oil cooler, I would 😂 

I already have PPE’s oil sighting tube just so I don’t have the faff of taking the nose cone off to check oil levels! 😀 

Regarding the G-meter, one thing I do wonder - why is the g going in wrong direction?  You turned left and the dot went to the right.  This seems quite common - I had a similar display on my Cayman and it annoyed me that it was the wrong way round!

15 hours ago, SamC said:

If the point on the G-Meter had mass, that is the way it’d go. I guess that’s what it’s simulating.

I guess so Sam - I always associate G with acceleration, I'd find it quite confusing to have the dot going in the counter-intuitive direction to the acceleration.

On 20/10/2023 at 12:08, Jonathan Kay said:

I know of one Seven that has a blind on the water radiator controlled from the cockpit.

(Overcooling on K Series engines is now quite common, for some reason.)

Jonathan

I built one for my first K Clubsport after I lost a head gasket to a faulty fan switch.  So my dad designed one effectively built as a RollRoyce idea. Apparently they didn’t run thermostats back in the day but just open and closed air to the rad.

i thing we had 8 louvers all on one linkage controlled by a machine stop cable under the scuttle. Worked a treat if a little heavy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

so a day giving people rides in the 7 at bedford made me realise that in dampish conditions, with an extra person in the car it can be tricky to react to front wheel lockups as I've got earplugs in and the car is already not braking very well from having an extra person on board,. so it got me thinking....

wheel lock sensors! they use them in Le Mans, why not on the 7. some blue LEDs that light up when one of the wheels hasn't rotated in a certain amount of time . disabled under a certain speed. so now I'm looking at hall sensors, magnets and where to attach them on the hubs. 6x3mm magnets by the hub shouldn't cause _much_ vibration. I could always fit 2.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

what was that? You want a dust cap to fill the hole of your lap belt boss?
But it's full of grot
So it literally needs to tap the thread into the grot and clean it out?
and you don't want it to cost £40?
Have I got good news for you!

https://uberniche.co.uk/lapbelt-bung

lap-belt-wide.jpg.5a7f55f5d24d44564e54a148d76e79ca.jpg

please file under "stupid but neat" as usual, you can order some from the site in my footer. £10+£3 delivery!

J

ps. the first version I did of these snapped off in the grot-filled thread. it was not good. thises are strong enough and with the extremely blunt "cutting" thread, they should get all the goop out by moving it back and forth a bit as long as you don't attach a pipe wrench to them and twist (ask me how I snapped the V1)

Edited by graearea