Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo R888R availability & sizes

gm44

Thanks for the pics and info Rog. They look fine, not stretched too much at all. All in all, given the rolling diameters the 205 looks a better proposition than the 225 to me. 

The only issue with an all time purchase might be in a few years time if they still had stock. I would expect 7s tend to run tyres for longer than many other cars anyway so you might not want to be fitting 3 or 4yo ones as new. 

#23:

Simon, your car will (should) have an electronic programmable speedo. Have a look at this Speedometers guide, which describes the location and purpose of the sensor and reluctor ring.  Part C explains how to calibrate the speedo by altering the 6-digit pulse code. There's also a table of common tyres and wheel sizes, showing their respective pulse codes.

JV

• Leadership Team

Agree Scott, you would have to keep an eye on the tyre batch numbers when ordering. Much would depend on the scale and scope of the all time buy. Having done a few 'atb's' in my time, it's not just a case of buying everything they can, they'll doubtless be looking at the faster moving SKUs etc. 

will have to see

Rog

#31:  Pleased it worked for you. 

Note that the code doesn't have to match one of the listed pulse codes precisely.  In fact, once you've set a reasonably accurate code, you can tweak it by increments by comparing speed (or trip mileage) with a satnav.  Personally, I set mine so that the odometer, rather than the speedo, is as accurate as possible.

JV   

• 1 year later...

Just reviving this thread - as more and more people will have switched from from Avon ZZS to Toyo R888R on 13" wheels by now, how have you found the switch? Any pros or cons?

Do the R888R have a stiffer sidewall than ZZS?

Has any one had issues with the taller sidewalls on the fronts rubbing the cycle wings? 

Taller sidewalls give less clearance on the front for me, but is still manageable and causes no issues (But this isn't the same for everyone).  As for the feel, i have had no issues with them, they perform well on the road and seem predictable on the limit on my car.  Given my usage and realistic ability level, i think they are a great choice.  

I have run ZZS and R888R on 13” on track and road, wet and dry.
I have a slight preference for ZZS and would pay more for them but R888Rs are great. 
I personally didn’t find the sidewall felt stiffer on R888R but I have seen others comment on that. In fact if anything I thought they were slightly more compliant perhaps due to the higher sidewall. Although R888Rs are less expensive I found they didn’t last as long. 
All very subjective but that’s my thoughts. 

Thanks that’s helpful info. Maybe I’m being too resistant to the change over…

Did you feel the need to re-do your geometry and corner weighting when switching from ZZS to R888Rs given the difference in dimensions etc? 

Is the R888R softer, harder or very similar compound to the  trusty ZZS. 

Edited by JAL73

At the time (my last car)  I had 6” front and rear wheels so the ride height was just a bit higher but equally front to back so I left it as it was. The problem arises with 8” rears which I have now. The corner weighting would need a tweak. If I change to R888R from ZZS I don’t know whether I will take some height measurements at each corner and tweak it myself or take it back to be corner weighted again. That would obviously be better. 
I don’t know about the compounds. What I did notice was that on track R888R seemed to get hot much quicker. The extra side wall does make them feel slightly different too. At my level I would be happy with either but I would prefer to remain with ZZS if that is possible.