Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lotus on Track - anyone a member?

Caterham Track Days

Hi All, I am booked on to a couple of our trackdays in 2023 (Cadwell & Anglesey so far) but really want to go to Silverstone and note that Lotus on Track have a date in March at a relatively reasonable rate.

Is anyone a member of Lotus on Track? I know Caterhams are permitted but will we be welcome?

If so, is anyone going to Silverstone?

Hi,

I've been going to LoT days for the past couple of years so am also a lifetime member. I've got a FIA bar but no petty strut so not sure how correct the above is as a general comments for them. 
You definitely need a cage for some of the European tracks and I think that they have introduced for Silverstone as well - this wasn't the case a year or so ago but it is a really fast track (and I've seen a couple of Exiges end up on their roof!). 
I'm at the Anglesey day on 8 May if that's the one you are at? I'm going with about 8 other Caterhams and they always tend to be well represented.I'd give Paul (the guy who runs it) an email on the address given on the site. Really helpful and responsive. 

Chris

When you say you have an FIA bar, do you mean it's actually FIA approved on its own or just commonly referred to as such? The current track day bar isn't FIA approved without the strut fitted (I checked with Caterham), which is why Lotus on Track told me to find another track day organiser. Still, if they hadn't I probably wouldn't have joined this club, so every cloud and all that...

Funnily enough, I emailed them today before reading this. The response from them (copy and paste) is below:

'If you have a Caterham approved ROPS – a Caterham supplied track day roll bar would be ok. Ie. it’s supplied by Caterham for roll over protection on track days. Then it’s ok on our events other than at the 4 circuits listed above.' (Brands Hatch GP, Bilster Berg, Dijon, Spa Francorchamps)

I then confirmed that no petty strut/cage/stickers etc were required, and they confirmed that as long as it was sold by Caterham as a 'trackday bar' it's fine, nothing else required

Hope that's of use. I've never done a LoT day, but plan to next year, so only have todays emails to go off.

Sam

I think they changed the policy in 2021. Along with the club track days I have done a few each year with LoT and never had an issue with a standard Caterham track day bar (and no petty strut). My understanding is that the following tracks require a cage "In addition, all Caterham type vehicles must be fitted with a 6 point approved roll-cage at Brands Hatch GP, Bilster Berg, Dijon, Oulton Park, Spa Francorchamps & Zandvoort."

Also note that tuition is not included for with LoT - you pay for that separately if you want it.

#8 — thanks for the confirmation Tim. Urg, that sounds like a faff. Sufficient that I won't bother with LoT then. I have the rollbar with the double cross beams, so the 'track day' roll bar? I've not had any issues with that anywhere, and I've done more than a dozen track days in the last couple of years, including the Nurburgring.

Hi All, thanks for all of the responses.  Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the roll bar requirements.

It does however appear that the rules did change in the last year or so and the Caterham track day rollbar is sufficient for the vast majority of LoT tracks, including Silverstone.  I've also looked through their facebook page and seen a few caterhams with just the trackday bar at Silverstone in November-

https://www.facebook.com/LotusOnTrack/photos/a.5716118661834671/5716044388508765

I have therefore joined LoT and booked Silverstone for the 13th March with an instruction session.

Hopefully I'll see some of you there.

Best wishes, Ben.

I have done trackdays with LoT and can confirm they are very well organised and very much like C&L7C ones with no problem with driving standards , I havent had to worry as my car has a cage but below is from their T&C from the website

20. Lotus, VX220/Speedster, Alpine, Ferrari, McLaren & Porsche cars registered after 1995 do not require a roll-cage.

All other cars registered after 1995* plus ALL cars regardless of manufacturer registered before 1995 must have a full 6 point approved roll-cage.

All Caterham type vehicles must be fitted with an approved Roll Over Protection system(ROPs). In addition, all Caterham type vehicles must be fitted with a 6 point approved roll-cage at Brands Hatch GP, Bilster Berg, Dijon, Spa Francorchamps.

* An exemption may be given depending on the type of car & venue. Requests must be made in writing at least 48hrs before the event start.

• 2 weeks later...