Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caliper bolts

Doc007

Does anyone have a source/specifications/link to an alternative source for the caliper bolts for a 2015 AP 2-pot caliper? I've just removed mine and it was really-bloody-tight for the whole of its extraction.

The Torx head was chewed up during its removal and I'd prefer a cap head or similar to replace it. The main issue is that the hole in the caliper is very tight with little room for a "shoulder".

I think this is the Caterham OE version. 

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/calipers-pads-discs/5294-caliper-mounting-bolt-to-ap-upright.html?search_query=Caliper+bolts&results=179

I had similar issues with the bolts on the 4 pots. One torx head was mullered and I needed to weld a nut to it to get it out.

IMO the issue is the OE thread lock. I replaced all the bolts with 12.9 cap heads and use Loctite 243. I did clear out the original stuff by running a tap down. No problems since. 

I ran a tap down the holes. I honestly think I would have reached the torque figure before the bolt was home if I didn't. 

Does anyone have guide for how to replace the discs?

In particular I need to know;

1. Caliper mounting bolts(x2) torque.

2. Disc to carrier bolts(x4) torque and how to hold the disc when tightening. Had to use a vice on the old disc without soft jaws as they didn't hold it tightly enough. Wouldn't want to do that on a new disc!

3. Torque for hub nut and technique. I understand it's very low (7nm???) +turning until next hole for castellated nut is aligned.

Thanks in advance.

A good soak with acetone or MEK, if you can get some, can soften most thread lock compounds.

Failing that the tap trick does it, it won't remove any metal provided you have the correct tap, or as previously mentioned take an old bolt of the same thread size and cut some grooves "UP" the thread with a triangular or half round file, this will scour out the thread lock goo.

If you try to run the bolt through the hole full of locking compound there is a good chance your torque figure will be reached prematurely, and therefore the bolt is not sufficiently tightened.

Good luck.

Nigel. 

PS Bin the Torx head or socket head screws and get some proper Hex headed bolts, I think the torque for the caliper mounting on 1982 car are 45 ft/lbs, not something for twee Torx sockets dealing with, Cap head bolts may stand this treatment, and I don't recall any mention of thread locking compound, so things must have changed over the years.