Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Why is one wheel bolt shorter than the other three?

tuvok4711

Any idea why on both of my rear wheels one wheel bolt is significantly shorter than the other three? (apart from the mechanic being clumsy when originally assembling...)

Does not make any sense to me why you would have something like that as a original build. The nut for the shorter bolt still fits well enough; yet I wonder if this is correct or if I should try to sort it out correctly next time I visit my garage...

Cheers,

Steven

PXL_20220204_153806218.thumb.jpg.fa5f267f354506938c44938c85c10af0.jpg

so you are saying that as a security measure (prevention from unfastening in case someone might use the wrong nuts) one shorter stud was used on purpose?

(it is only on the rear axle, though. The bolts/studs on the front are all the same length...)

Funny things altogether yet to be discovered on Caterhams... *confused*

"so you are saying that as a security issue (prevention from unfastening in case someone might use the wrong nuts) one shorter stud was used on purpose?"

No. I have no idea why yours are like that.

But if the nuts are closed-ended then I'd check what's happening when they're tight. The stud mustn't bottom out in the nut.

Jonathan

Any stud with less than 6 turns of nut engagement is dangerous, optimally the length of engagement should be equivalent to the diameter of the stud.

In this particular case, Steven, I would say you don't have a standard Caterham fitment, with at least 3 of the studs being fitted post-factory due to having shanks that aren't threaded all the way down to the hub, together with a non-standard universal slotted spacer which doesn't seem to be accurately centred on the hub.

But if the nuts are closed-ended then I'd check what's happening when they're tight. The stud mustn't bottom out in the nut.

Yes, nuts are closed-ended and the shorter one seems to have enough "space" within the nut (approx 15mm I would say).

I think ScottR400D is probably right: wrong component.

As there is a track extension disc (is that what it is called?) assembled (see photo in original post) I think that when back then fitting this, the original studs (i.e. the now shorter ones) were left and the three longer ones where fitted. Maybe whoever did that didnt have enough longer studs left so he had to improvise...

ah, sorry guys. I did not see the last two post before I posted mine.

So:

@aerobod: thanks; I will check tomorrow if there are at least 6 turns for stud to fasten. (my guess would say that it is pretty much the diameter of the stud as you said. My approx judgement was 15mm which should be enough; nevertheless I will take a look when being back at the car)

@aerobod and SLR No.77: Yes, I agree that the spacer does not really look right. It also did not feel right, meaning it seems to sit rather loose on the studs; width of spacer is approx 2cm... Wheels are 185/60R13 with 6J Minilites. Do you feel I should rather get rid of the spacer? (but then I would have to fit 3 shorter studs again...)

I don't know the configuration of your car but are the bolts of the "D" headed type? If so, is it possible the the short ones are actually pushed back and have turned so are not actually bedded down correctly. This would need to be corrected immediately.

I second dumping the spacers!

O.G.