Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Garage Tyre Inflation Kit!

Graham Hutton

So, I've got bored of taking our cars to the garage to blowup the tyres/check pressures and want to get some kit to do it at home. Being a man I immediately thought I should buy a massive compressor with fixed airlines but clearly that's nuts. However, I'm not sure what to get as I want something that will be fairly accurate and I have things from very low pressures (Caterham) up to high pressures (van).

I need to inflate the tyres away froma power socket so I could go for a decent foot pump or maybe I was thinking a little air compressor cylinder on wheels with an inflator. Anyone got any experience of this kit? The little air compressors on machine mart etc look like they'd be good but would an 8l cyclinder be enough to top up tyres??

Any thoughts appreciated and any excuse to buy new tools taken..!!

I find a good quality hand pump is fine for most car and bicycle tyres. A Topeak Joeblow pump is what I've been using for past 10 years for the tintops, Caterham and road bike. 5 pumps per tyre per PSI on the Caterham, 10 per PSI on the BMW and 15 per PSI on the Macan.

The hand pump is also great for use at the track, no messing about with compressors for a quick change in tyre pressure.

Thanks everyone. The max pressure I need to do is about 45psi.

I've got a joe blow track pump for my road bikes but how do you adapt it to connect to a car valve and do you think the gauge is accurate enough?

I quite like the look of some of the 24l compressors on wheels but what is an ALG?

• Support Team

I bought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inflator-Portable-Rechargeable-Cordless-Motorbike/dp/B09MF6Z8CR?th=1

Works with all things I need inflated (different cycles, trailer tyres, Caterahm, road cars etc).  There are quite a few like it on Amazon if this particular one doesn't kit fit the bill.  I did buy a cheap soft case for it as they supplied a bag for it which was rubbish.  Only annoying thing is I hamfistedly keep switching on the light when I use it.

Never thought of using my Bike track pump! Good idea!

I use a halfords 12v compressor with a screw on connector which always leaks air when you undo it. So I over inflate then bleed it back down to what you need using an accurate hand held gauge and its cunning button. 

Very happy with this. Wish I'd bought one years ago. So much easier than a foot pump and no irritating leads to plug in to the cigarette lighter that Bly works with the ignition on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Inflator-Compressor-Rechargeable-Inflatables/dp/B08FM5BLN6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=XD4E4CDTSIYT&keywords=battery+pump+tyre&qid=1643237929&sprefix=battery+pump+tyre%2Caps%2C55&sr=8-6

• Leadership Team

I use a Halfords branded twin barrel foot pump, steel frame and far more stable than the single barrel versions. 

And of course, non of those environmental nasties that are so derided on the EV car thread! *rofl*

Stu.

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RTC2000-Cordless-Rechargeable/dp/B08ZSR8N5P/ref=asc_df_B08ZSR8N5P/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=500890667741&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2934755602137236549&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006622&hvtargid=pla-1298663975757&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Easily handled topping up 3 bikes and 3 cars, pre set the pressure you want, press the button and leave it till it stops automatically when the pressure is reached. Very neat and compact, I carry it around in the bottle cage on my bike.