Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Caterham prices up - lack of supply

420R

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a bit of development, I would think it'll pretty easy to come up with a EV conversion kit for the 7,at reasonable cost if DIY. It may be the only option for keeping our cars on the road in future. Otherwise in 20 years time they'll all be museum pieces.

Someone like Premier Power may start looking at this option, else they will become defunct. Or maybe the Club should start a development fund?

Jonathan, yes that amongst others yet unveiled is the economic penalties I refer to. Interesting to think about all vintage vehicles with ICE's, cars, lorries aircraft ( would we have to convert Spitfires, Lancasters  and others to EV  *rofl*     ).

Hopefully at my age I may get the use of my seven before I become too infirm to drive it.

"Is it the case that all vehicles produced after 2030 must be EV but no restrictions on ownership or use of ICE vehicles other that dissuasion of use  through economic penalties?

No ICE (hybrid only) from 2030. Fully electric only from 2035. Used ICE cars can continue to be used.

In 2035 I wonder if there will be a market that springs up doing ICE retrofits of new electric Caterhams and other niche manufacturers, like the reverse of Vintage Voltage. I might start hoarding Duratec & Sigma engines. [strokes chin thoughtfully].

On a serious note, I'd be amazed if the government don't decide to implement a low volume manufacturer exemption from EV requirements, or at the very least, grant them an extension beyond 2035.

#100 I'm gently going to put my head above the parapet as its not only Coal. As someone who wants to retire is Suffolk we also have nuclear which is going to wreck this coast for holidays and many other people who enjoy it. The government is quite happy to subsidise a bankrupt French company to allow the Chinese to build Sizewell 3

A touch melodramatic? Sizewell C is proposed next to the existing Sizewell B - it's not going to wreck the whole coast of Suffolk anymore than Hinckley Point C wrecks the whole coast of Somerset or Sellafield the Cumbrian coast. That said, it is adjacent to RSPB Minsmere, so the impact on internationally important wildlife sites is likely higher.

On the Chinese point, I think HMG is looking for alternative investors seeing as we've gone cold about the  Chinese state having involvement in our critical infrastructure.

I'm conflicted as I could be involved in tendering for a significant amount of work at SZC, and I'm an RSPB member. 

#109 TomB not melodramatic at all, and to be a bit selfish it is that specific bit of coast my family and I have been using for nearly 30 years. If you see what it will do to the environment where the want to build it and if you want to live in the area, it looks like its going to destroy lots of areas of natural beauty and the difference in the build as it has one non working and one partially working in this takes up much more space on a very poor bit of coast if you look at the natural erosion on that bit of coast it has the potential to be the UK's Fukushima.

Happy to make this a private discussion if you want to know more.

'"not melodramatic at all, and to be a bit selfish it is that pacific bit of coast my family and I have been using for nearly 30 years. If you see what it will do to the environment where the want to build it and if you want to live in the area"

Living an hour and a half NW of there and visiting often, I agree with you. (Not the Pacific, though, it's the North Sea!! *wink*)

You need coal to produce the electricity to power electric cars!

Meanwhile India, China, Africa etc are burning fossil fuels/hydrocarbons like they're going out of fashion and will continue to do so.  

I concede we (the human race) cannot go on realistically as we are but unless it's a "group" effort 

1 - we are at a the receiving end of a huge disadvantage 

2 - thus the whole thing is completely pointless (unless of course you follow the money) 

3 - the authorities will invariably allow the wealthy to pollute as much as they want whist the untermensch will own nothing and be happy

It seems the West is to lead the way in this UN2030 agenda whist developing countries are free to leave a trail of environmental destruction..

Meanwhile legislation has been brought in under Biden to have a kill switch installed in new cars from 2026 which can be utilised remotely by the authorities.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/biden-infrastructure-bill-scary-buy-used-cars/?amp

Welcome to 1984!!!

#114 That's an interesting article on Biden's bill for a kill switch in new cars.  We seem to be heading in the same direction with our own systems which now seem to include speed limiting devices that read speed limit signs and slow the car automatically.

However, I suddenly recalled a conversation I had with a company that monitor the satellite tracking system on my wife's AM Vantage.  I am rarely allowed to drive it but I took it for a spin one day while she was playing golf.  My oversight was forgetting to take the transponder card / pad that communicates with the tracker fitted to the car so an alert was sent to the trackers Vodaphone indicating that the car was on the move without transponder and possibly being stolen.  So they phoned my wife to ask if the car was "safe" *redface*

She phoned me and I said I was just stretching it's legs *whistle*  

So I had to phone Vodaphone to confirm that the car was safe and I had just forgotten to take the transponder device.  During the course of the conversation with a very nice lady, she knew what speeds I had been traveling at and where I had been and the speed limits in those places.  She also said that they could actually kill the ignition but obviously would not do so while the car was being driven, however, once the car was at rest she could immobilise it if the owner had confirmed that the car had been stolen.  So it seems the kill switches already exist in some cars.

I had to make my own tea that night *grumpy*

"We seem to be heading in the same direction with our own systems which now seem to include speed limiting devices that read speed limit signs and slow the car automatically."

The technology and incremental mandation with dates in the EU:
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/economy/20190110STO23102/self-driving-cars-in-the-eu-from-science-fiction-to-reality
https://www.acea.auto/files/ACEA_Automated_Driving_Roadmap.pdf
https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/30700/euroncap-roadmap-2025-v4.pdf

I don't understand the UK's plans, but Project Endeavour keeps coming up:
https://trl.co.uk/news/roadmap-to-enable-remote-operation-of-cavs-by-2035

Jonathan

#115 I had a 911 back in 2007 with exactly that kind of system. If I left home without the transponder, I'd have a call within 1/2 mile. They knew exactly where the car was and could immobilise it once it had stopped. 

It was a condition of my insurer that the Tracker subscription was maintained at a cost of around £200 a year; the insurance cost was about £350! 

A farmer local to me had his half a million pound John Deere combine stop in a field, he called to agent who came and ran a diagnosis on it, - it showed nothing so they contacted the USA who said.... oh yes we parked him in the middle of the field, and when he make the 3 missing payments on it we will allow him to move it again....... *driving* 

• 2 months later...

I think UK wise it's an 18 months wait for a built car.

Price rise?  Who knows?  Caterham take a deposit and will put up the RRP in the interim which is a bit cheeky.

I say just spec what you want and put yer money down!