Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Number Plate...

John Pattison

Possibly a silly question, but is there a reason why a vinyl number plate can't be stuck across the top of the nose cone instead of a hard plate underneath the grille? I'm sure I've seen this done in the past, but not sure if it's legally permissible?

#9 vinyl plates will not conform to the necessary regulations. Many people get away with them but there's a small risk.

I don't consider Dual-Lock secure enough for a front number plate, particularly if used on track when debris (or gravel!) might hit it. I have rivnuts in the nosecone and hold the number plate on with two M5 screws. Easy to remove for racing but very secure when fitted.

I've used 2 small pieces of 3M dual lock velcro along the top edge of the plate so that it sits just below the grill. I have also stuck a couple of pieces of plastic angle towards the lower edge of the plate to stop it 'peeling' off the velcro at speed. The angles are aligned with the bottom of the oil cooler grill - my 420R kit came with this slightly new style of nose cone last June. It's a legally sized 5 digit plate.

So far done almost 1900 miles and reg plate has been rock steady - despite my initial scepticism that such a small amount of velcro (which isn't even on a flat surface on the nose cone) would be sufficient..

xlarge_Reg1_0.jpg.951214631e6cb69cfe4cc9170ae0e9b4.jpg

xlarge_Reg2.jpg.2b3a3f03004e9345ee03c6345aaf8d43.jpg

Richard