Click here if you are having website access problems ×

160 oil pressure

arthur rayner

Hello all

What oil pressure ought I to be seeing in general use please? It seems to fluctuate from almost nothing to around 3 bar and certainly never over 4 bar at speed? Is this normal?

I checked the dip stick and the oil, supposedly being new, just 60 miles or so ago, shows colourless (a bit worrying to my thinking)but when wiped, shows a trace!

I'm not sure what oil should be in, but the handbook indicates Shell Helix Ultra AV-L 5W-30.

I don't want to be too paranoid about it, just concerned.

Arthur 

4bar is about right at speed. When really hot mine used to drop to 1 or 2 bar at idle. So I dont think you have anything to worry about Arthur. Shell Helix 5-30 is not that readily available in 5litre cans so I used 10-30. Shell Helix is a very fine oil and will look clear when new but with the turbo it will darken in no time. Being a turbo the most important thing is to always change it (and filter) every 3k miles when due.

• 5 months later...

I also have the 160 and my car went in yesterday to sort out a temperamental gauge reading - it was either fine then suddenly went into the red zone or when i put the ignition on instead of 'rest' it would go to 6 bar then as soon as i started the engine it would go into red.

They cleaned and checked all connections yesterday but 2/3 of the way home it shot into the red again. They said they would probably look to replace the gauge. My questions are:-

Is it likely then to be a faulty gauge?

Is this an easy swap to do myself?

Would I be better getting someone to fit a new mechanical rather than electric gauge?

"Is it likely then to be a faulty gauge?"

It's hard to tell. You've already had a good look at the connections.

I'd now:

1 Test the gauge directly by mimicking the sender with no resistance and with high resistance.

2 Test the sender by measuring the resistance with a multimeter.

"Is this an easy swap to do myself?"

Yes, swapping a like for like gauge is easy. Be gentle when you tighten the bracket on the new one.

You probably won't need a wiring diagram... unless anything comes loose. Please let me know if you'd like one.

Jonathan

Thanks, it was actually in with the main dealer who told me they'd fixed it, which is why i'd have thought they'd have done all the necessary tests to identify the problem or faulty part. I just took a 190 mile round trip and used up a days holiday to get it sorted which is wasted!