Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can you solve the problem that Caterham cannot?

Saltyhair81

I would also look at the alignment of the caliper over the disc, view from the  rear and the top, some are not perpendicular to the disc in both axis and this sets up a resonance under certain conditions.

You can buy 0.1mm shims to correct the vertical alignment if required, if its out view from above your looking at machining or replacing the upright or caliper - which ever is out .

It can also rattle against the hole in the foot well and eat through the grommet.  Once it does the noise is horrendous.  The solution is as above, rotate the rack a bit.

If it was my car I think I would look to borrow a chassis ear to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.   I still suspect brakes. 

The noise seems to be too deep and metallic for it to be a cycle wing rubbing, my first suspicion would be the bonnet so I would take it for a run with bonnet removed to see if the noise is still there.  If the noise disappears it won't explain the cause but would disclose where the noise is coming from.  Something is vibrating against either bodywork or chassis somewhere so there should be evidence of chaffing.  I would also try braking with the handbrake and if the sound is still evident you can at least rule out the front brake caliper / disc.

It is a short video but the noise reaches two crescendos and does give the impression of something rotating that is causing the noise.  If the crescendos slowed with the car it does suggest a problem with the brakes / wheel.

Great post thank you, some good ideas. It will be 4 weeks on Monday that Caterham have had my car. 

I will be asking for an update and I think I will direct them to this post for rectification if nothing is sorted. Thanks everyone for you input, will keep you updated 

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on this. I have the car back and have taken it for 3 separate runs, one being a proper blat yesterday. It appears so far that the problem has been resolved. And what was it......play in the N/S wheel bearing! If I don't post in here again, assume it's fixed. And if anyone else has a similar noise, check your wheel bearings! 

So apparently the bearing had minor play and they tightened it up. It was vibrating the wing stay which was making the second noise, as you guys mentioned before in previous posts.

They have now bonded the wingstay too which will help with further vibration. The handling is much better now, but I will be getting a second opinion when the bloody rain stops. CC have kept the case open incase there are any return issues with it - which will be covered under warranty which is pretty decent of them.   

I guess time will tell, but I agree, I would have thought the bearing would have been the first point of call! 

• Area Representative

I am not sure what year your car is - 2019? - any way if it is a 2003> model then it will have the uprated stub axle & bearings.

There was a lack of lubrication issue with the axle & bearings. The upright was pre assembled for fitment & that included home builds.  After one of my front wheel bearings went out of adjustment after some three months on the road I decided to strip & check. I found little or no grease, what existed was hard with faint patches of blueing on the axle surface.

After posting here it transpired that there were a lot of new ish cars out there with the same problem. Obviously the n**mpty engaged with assembling the uprights just casually waved the grease tin in the general direction of the bearings & axle.  

I would suggest checking both sides for correct lubrication. Especially if CC just adjusted the axle nut. If you do & a thorough grease is involved then hopefully you can forget about it for another four years. This is the CC recommended period between maintenance of front wheel bearings.

After service or readjustment I would recommend checking for play at about 200 miles. The 2003> upgrade is far more reliable than the <2003 fit. But you could be surprised!

We have seen quite a few cars with minimal grease in the front wheel bearings, even on fairly new cars. Consequently if you don't know the service history it is always a good idea to strip and check the front wheel bearings for wear and possible over heating.

• Area Representative

PGM #39 - I am glad that some one in the trade has found a severe lack of lubrication of the bearings to be a reasonably common case.

I highlighted the issue on these pages back in 2013. I wonder if  there is still a problem? Highly likely.

Because of the risk to the front axle & beraings I contributed this guide to the club web site.

To ignore the warning about poor lubrication of the front wheel bearings is to court a possible bearing failure. The stub axle will survive with some blueing.

With the <2003 stepped stub axle & asymmetric size bearings a lack of lubrication could result a bearing seizure & failure of the axle at it's weakest point. 

Many years ago I remember a member calling for help on these pages when the <2003 axle seized. I asked if he had ever lubricated the assembly - (a) he did not know you had to (b) No!

Because of the risk to the front axle & bearings I contributed this guide to the club web site:

Front Hub - Lack of lubrication | Lotus Seven Club (lotus7.club)

I remember Dad telling me about a work colleague who overtightened an adjustable taper roller bearing on their car and the hub friction welded to the stub axle.

Dad was a Post Office phone engineer and most of his mates were into DIY. Two of them had fingers missing from circular saw incidents - consequently he refused to have one! (Sorry for the tangent!)