Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Right handed ignition

cobaltcodd

Being right handed, I really struggle to get the key into my ignition (88 xflow) barrel and turn it as it's a left handed operation.  So the question is... can it be loosened and swung around so it's on the RHS of the column?  I'm away from home for a bit so can't go and look.

Keyless in 1988 would have been pretty advanced :)

As for modern keyless . . . a boon to your average car thief and to sellers of blocking wallets . . .

I'm left-handed, but do find on occasion I have to guide the key with the right hand up and into the ignition.

To answer some questions - yes there is a steering lock for an 88 car.  Keyless sounds great, but I think it could be a lot of hassle to fit - I quite like the originality of my car as well (turning the steering lock issue excepted - as it could be put back simply if required).  When I get home I think the best bet would be to remove it and see if there is a locating hole for a grub screw or similar.  many thanks.

• Leadership Team

I have a "CatStart" on my car which was a small keyless ignition unit built many years ago by a club member, Chris Wyles. The unit enables all the ignition on/off and start/stop functions to be performed via a single momentary push starter button, in most cases the "big red starter button" is the one used. Occasionally they appear s/h but are pretty rare although I'm sure an internet search would come up with some viable alternatives.

Stu. 

I have just had a look at mine (an '85 S3 that is fully dismantled for restoration) The hole in the tube is not at the 9 o'clock position, more like 7:30, i.e. at 45 degrees down from the horizontal.  There is also a boss on the lock housing that fits exactly in the hole. As suggested Arch may be willing to make you the RH version.  The lock should be reusable on the other side.

Steeringlocktube.JPG.1ec6a2cc784d4feb447e6ea95d807e27.JPG

The tube is upside down in this photo

Thinking further about this although it is technically possible it will be quite a task.  Probably involves removing the scuttle to allow the lock shear bolts to be removed (I drilled them and used screw extractors) and also to drill out the rivets that hold the tube to the chassis rail.

Well I wasn’t particularly thinking of the 88 car, more everything they’re still building the same. 

And I doubt that the system they used in my car is as easy to defeat as the key type system, not that the 7 is much of a target for most car thieves in any case I wouldn’t think.