Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing nylocs with quick release, battery

CtrMint

Evening all, 
Hope you're all enjoying the break, well unless like me you're back to work :-(

I'm about to fit a CTEK battery to charger to my 620.  Given the battery is in the footwell I'm going to fit the adapter lead to the battery and then pass the lead through the chassis brace and under the passenger seat.  The adapter has a weatherproof plug on it, so 99% of the time it will be fine, i.e. days on island.  When we're going away and the 7 is exposed to the elements I'll remove the lead.

I don't want to charge the battery with the plastic cover on, I'm sure it will be fine, but just to be safe.  I'm looking to convert the nut and bolt setup to a quick release setup.  Do you think that's possible?

Basically the battery is clamped down using the typical holder.  However it's a longer bolt which points upwards, onto which the plastic cover is also attached and fixed with two nylocs.  The battery is clamped with separate nuts on the same bolts.  So this doesn't affect the battery itself.

I sort of want to replace the nylocs with a quick-release fixing.  Proximity to the plastic limits options too.

I've had a google around, but not found anything.  Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

Does a battery on a trickle charger get hot?  Maybe the type in the 620 does. 

Options to do what you describe would seem to include simple wing nuts, or for something marginally more elegant a knurled nut that you could spin off by hand.

Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?

I would expect the charging current to be far higher from the alternator when driving than from the trickle charger therefore if the battery is going to get hot it would do so when driving. My CTEK will only deliver around 12W max and obviously most of that is not wasted as battery heat. I really don't think there's a problem in leaving the cover on.

you got me thinking about the knurled nuts, and I've found these on fleabay.  might be worth a punt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-Multi-Color-Aluminum-Knurled-Thumb-Nut-Blind-Hole-Hand-Step-Nuts-Screw-cap/223812442018?hash=item341c42d7a2:m:mvC1Ehjgko43iKYD_DT0fMQ

just need to replace the normal washer with spring washer and it should be good.  Unfortunately none of the ebay sellers I've found so far post to the IOM, so will need to keep looking, but I'm on the right track, thanks for the help

Hi Steve, 

I guess I could test the theory, though I'd still feel comfortable being able to quickly glance at the battery to check it etc.  You never know having a quick release solution might also help when out on the road.  It's not as though the battery terminals are accessible under the bonnet.

Hi Mark, the trickle charger current is in the region of 100 times less than an alternator can deliver but yes, I agree, a quick release solution would be good and there's no downside. The PC680 is a great battery btw - much better than the Banner in a 7 - just be aware that it isn't very tolerant to being fully discharged for any period of time. 

It's funny you mention that discharge.  I was double checking the literature from manufacturer, making sure it was happy on a the CTEK charger.  The documentation claimed they were pretty good following deep discharge.  Sounds like your experience has been totally difference.

Have a read.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM-002_1214.pdf

I've installed everything.  I'll leave it over night and check in the morning, see how things are. See if there's any excess heat.

The design CC used is a tad silly to be honest.  The hex bolt head, is actually hidden away behind the cover... *scratchchin*  While its possible to secure everything by locking the bolt against the nut that's on the battery retaining bracket, I'm sure in time and with a little natural corrosion, the bolt will spin when removing the cover nylocs.  Then you're stuck as you can't hold the bolt head...

finish1.jpg.eca0c38b910f0a05abd1c263a5159704.jpg finish2.jpg.9d5de30c81e8eb5144747569eda557c5.jpg

The cover looks like it's only there for passenger comfort.  So why not just leave it off unless you are carrying a passenger?  Alternatively drop it over the bolt lugs and hold it in place with a strip of Velcro between the cover and the battery retaining strap?  My front number plate is held on with Velcro and it's as firm as anything.  Or clamp a piece of shock cord under the battery retaining nuts to hold the cover in place and to remove lift the shock cord and slide the cover out.  A rubber strap would be an alternative.  

... with a cam lock or similar.

The same thought occurred to me.  I have a Lifeline hand-held extinguisher in the same location as your battery.  It's secured in its frame by an over-centre locking strap.  I was wondering if you could use something similar -- or like this CamLoc, perhaps?

PS: I like the idea of a Velcro pad between cover and battery retaining strap (#17).

JV

Lots of interesting ideas there.  Not sure which way to go.  I did check the battery temp and it felt fine.  So I guess the discussion has moved from the original concern to working around CCs design.   I use similar tape to that mentioned by Bryan to secure my front plate on the 420, I have some spare so will give that a go

This is amazingly strong - not to be confused with velcro.

Holds my battery in place !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-or-BLACK-3M-DUAL-LOCK-Self-Adhesive-Tape-Pads-HEAVY-DUTY-Fasteners/142285498602?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2120e068ea:m:mmesAudfZa4iEC8NgYmxSZg&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qX78kdlkFEXuLZ8HcVRb6YS773XZA%2FHTrxprWIpd6GcwiHOVa%2BLvPOrFYPSzbDc%2FhnyWwXLNh9ssqqh6DV%2FgEbk70xjBb%2FtsPrEZE5ar4%2FdRXHKuFrJ4U1jsqxSpdgM0MUn4RxTUMGEc4OoYnRc2RHQfONVqrMci2v2v2dVLLTVQkXGBYS9vdz%2FcHBoAiPys23TA8AsnofTz4R5WMXTpogf3cm1vQL4FB9qqvLLD9L8k0TYR%2F7pnVs9zKLYIuSmtmTOz2K5pkEZEH3QzM%2BbcBNjMKWB1NfHfFRwNwXMQq2LO8qd7KJxg831u5kb4ClmlxblhdCXaJJumOVLzwxJI2zJM2ry%2BAQP8arlKEEtfmFfy8w4PJRu%2BceMcQPgr9gnfZ4XyLn5DuC4ePiJPDcb1Y%2FN8vkvZXVptSgvzMf6YQdukIxBheKAYncYFi0AdaulbD%2BnSOn1QpYhWk%2Fz6tTxUJVh2q7%2FmwIOHdHTXvQHmE2WDvmscJLpfuKGwRusg0nb%2FpWzM91%2FoATn5sBY15SnqFikFhLs1s9xZ%2B2utgUTUMZEngTK0xHlsXDZG7HSPE7b5SttvzCkchdIse%2Fgw%2BvVSOkbCYVuN5N9e%2FmXgXeCiwDcEObs7tCiKr5XDSE0nTD4c%2BZpb1aKG2pvJWagWxozdz3ltXy%2B10h04LbmhHA9ObTmOqcJiWk6H7wP7l%2B%2Fv68%2FQCJRIp2T8rMd%2F2kIou77XFeeMjLjJGhlbkJlhZgOXuG5QQ%3D%3D&checksum=14228549860278369cda40d04f9b9ad9c701a244a228&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qX78kdlkFEXuLZ8HcVRb6YS773XZA%2FHTrxprWIpd6GcwiHOVa%2BLvPOrFYPSzbDc%2FhnyWwXLNh9ssqqh6DV%2FgEbk70xjBb%2FtsPrEZE5ar4%2FdRXHKuFrJ4U1jsqxSpdgM0MUn4RxTUMGEc4OoYnRc2RHQfONVqrMci2v2v2dVLLTVQkXGBYS9vdz%2FcHBoAiPys23TA8AsnofTz4R5WMXTpogf3cm1vQL4FB9qqvLLD9L8k0TYR%2F7pnVs9zKLYIuSmtmTOz2K5pkEZEH3QzM%2BbcBNjMKWB1NfHfFRwNwXMQq2LO8qd7KJxg831u5kb4ClmlxblhdCXaJJumOVLzwxJI2zJM2ry%2BAQP8arlKEEtfmFfy8w4PJRu%2BceMcQPgr9gnfZ4XyLn5DuC4ePiJPDcb1Y%2FN8vkvZXVptSgvzMf6YQdukIxBheKAYncYFi0AdaulbD%2BnSOn1QpYhWk%2Fz6tTxUJVh2q7%2FmwIOHdHTXvQHmE2WDvmscJLpfuKGwRusg0nb%2FpWzM91%2FoATn5sBY15SnqFikFhLs1s9xZ%2B2utgUTUMZEngTK0xHlsXDZG7HSPE7b5SttvzCkchdIse%2Fgw%2BvVSOkbCYVuN5N9e%2FmXgXeCiwDcEObs7tCiKr5XDSE0nTD4c%2BZpb1aKG2pvJWagWxozdz3ltXy%2B10h04LbmhHA9ObTmOqcJiWk6H7wP7l%2B%2Fv68%2FQCJRIp2T8rMd%2F2kIou77XFeeMjLjJGhlbkJlhZgOXuG5QQ%3D%3D&checksum=14228549860278369cda40d04f9b9ad9c701a244a228

Blimey thats a big linky  *yikes*