Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint

Taped_Finger

Evening,

I'm hoping to take delivery of my kit next week, naturally, I've been reading the various building blogs etc and expecting that the front suspension elements will need some dremal work at some point so I'm looking to get some touch-up paint.

Is the black that Caterham use on the headlight brackets/suspension elements a stain or gloss finish?

Thanks

Wiring of indicators / headlamps is a bit of a pain, but not sure you will be able to make it much better by trying to widen hole in brackets. I have seen some blogs where a dremel has been used to de-burr the hole. I eventually got grommets in place, use lots of silicone rubber lubricant and either cut out bits from back of grommet or split in half and use super glue to stick back together when in place. It is one of those really fiddly jobs that probably when you’ve done it 10 times doesn’t seem so bad but only those who build lots of cars or work at CC get that opportunity - be prepared for some frustration. Grommets don’t really seem to be correct size but you can get them to fit.

Yer must admit there seems to be a trend at the moment with build blogs, “If I doubt grind it out”.  I don’t remember using the dremel on anything significant, apart from a few minor fibreglass adjustments during my build in 2016.   But my new kit is due in September so lets see how that goes. 

Just completed my build - 310S SV - and didn’t have to cut anything other than the rear wings in order to connect the radius arms; no dremel needed, just a hacksaw. No touch up paint provided with the kit.

As Tony’s note, wiring the deadlights is painful. If I were to do it again, I might consider cutting the wires and re-soldering after threading through the brackets as I had particular issues with damaging the pins.

Make sure you get a copy of the new Assembly Guide, version 1.2!

David