Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crack in fuel tank

Benton

B42F1BAD-FB67-4877-BE8F-9225CAE2B64E.thumb.jpeg.d912001ec74f9d61784ffb11b67647c4.jpeg

I came across this opportunity today as I was examining the rear pads on my 2018 420R  as I’ve clocked up 10500 miles recently and was wondering what state they were in.

A crack about 4cm long slap bang in the middle of the bottom of the petrol tank, slightly seeping petrol.

The strange thing is it doesn’t look like impact damage, nothing around it is damaged and if anything the crack stands proud of the tank, rather than being pushed in.  To me the untrained eye it’s almost like metal fatigue, though how I’ve no idea.

Any thoughts, and what’s the best method of repair or should it be replaced, something  a warranty claim possibly would cover?

I'd start by talking to the vendor. NB your consumer rights might be greater than what's in a warranty.

Aluminium fuel tanks are repairable. Remember the risk from petrol vapour.

Jonathan

PS: But I thought that this was going to be about remaking Easy Rider with a couple of Sevens!

As it's so new I'd insist on replacement . My car (ancient - 1990 xflow) had a crack in the tank which someone had attempted to repair before i owned it. Without warning one day it ruptured and dumped a full tank all over the filling station (had to close temporarily while they ran about for sand and other products). Not good.

• Leadership Team

Being so new it's something I'd address with Caterham.

Without looking at the tank it's impossible to determine whether it's related to the internal baffles. My car had a similar issue, albeit at 10+ years old - a fatigue crack appeared approx 2" long and seeped fuel, the crack was at the position of one of the baffles. I removed the tank and washed it out thoroughly with soapy water then had it professionally welded. It's been perfect since, probably 8 or so years since the repair.

Stu.

There are loads of sealants (Doublebond might do Elie) that would seal that up for a while.  I'd expect that crack to propogate though so it would likely be a short term solution.  If it was an older car and I wanted to wait until the end of the summer I'd probably give it a really good clean then glue on an aluminium patch with a fuel-resistant sealant.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Caterham have agreed a new tank is required, the warranty is subject to examination of the old tank by the tank’s original supplier/manufacturer, though I cannot foresee any issues at this stage.

• Leadership Team

Piers, probably not a good idea to trust any of the welds on your tank then.

BTW, if you’ve ever removed the fuel pump from the end of the tank you’ll know exactly where likely leaks are going to occur.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Point taken Stu and my tank has now done 30,000 miles and at the moment does not leak. The point I was really trying to make was that a leaking fuel tank is a serious hazard. In fact, it is a failure I’m assuming will happen at some point on my 7, just due to age. I will just replace the tank, when the time comes. I’m not so sure about the integral fuel pump (K series R300), as I believe they are no longer made or available.

Piers

When my tank was replaced recently, a decision was taken to use an external pump mounted on the rear of the bulkhead by the filter, due to the expected forthcoming scarcity of the in-tank pump. A new plate was made to match the original pump mount ... which had a pick up pipe welded to it. Now the pump is accessible.

The actual pump is widely available.  The cradle probably less so.  I upgraded my ancient 1.4 pump to a higher capacity pump a couple of years ago while I had the tank out to clena up the inside of the rear chassis.  The actual pump is held to the cradle inside the tank by some screws & clips, it really not difficult to do.  IN fact the hardest part is getting the pump plate to seal on the tanke afterwards.  

Something like this, but dont take the model number as gospel, it was at least 3 years ago: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/fuel-pump-landrover-4-0-6443528-itp101

But I digress, this thread is about a crack in a tank! 

• Leadership Team

The tank isn't reinforced where the pump sits so once the pump has been fitted, seals compressed etc, the end of the tank becomes distorted which can cause sealing issues if any maintenance is needed on the pump. A filtered central pickup with an external pump would probably be a good mod.

Stu.