Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Pressures - Uniroyal Rainexperts 3 tyres

Midas

Hi, Midas.

Once you know I'll know also ....................................... How do you find them ????????????????

I've had Yoko' AR21s for the last 15 years and ran them at 15 psi (ish) Since they were deemed tooooo noisy by the powers that (think) they be. (they're actually quieter than your household wheelie bin *mad*)

I went the Rainmaster 3 route (mostly road use and often wet here in the peak district)

They're definitely not good at 15 psi !!!!!  The walls seem faaarrr too soft and the car seems to lurch on cornering. ( the car appears to keep it's line but the body roll gives a different impression) I've ended up with 21 psi which still seems soft (having said that the tyres are meant to be soft - SO! I'm still trying to get accustomed to the movement) I knew exactly (mostly *whistle* ) what was going on underneath my bottom with the 21's. But now I'm not sure what my bottom is telling me *eek* . Perhaps a bit more spirited driving will get me used to what they're doing?

• Leadership Team

Thanks for the comments. I haven’t tried them yet, but my previous tyres were AO21s , which I was very happy with and ran them at 18 psi which seemed the best compromise.

I bought the uniroyals after all the positive reviews on here and other forums. I’ll experiment around the 20 psi mark unless told otherwise!

I have 14 inch wheels so the 60 profile tyres will be less flexible. However, for what it is worth, I used to run mine at 18psi, but looking at a photo on a track day, they looked to be rolling off the rim more than I'd like so I changed to 19psi just fo peace of mind.I

Duncan

Ian, I really like my Rainsports (not sure what the difference is to Rainexperts) but they are nothing like CR500 or ZZS (and I expect R888s) in terms of dry grip. I wouldn’t use them for track unless maybe it was heavy rain but for road they are brilliant. The sidewalls are much softer and a bit higher profile (60) so the ride is wonderfully comfortable and less jarring if you hit a pot hole - it is very noticeable. I pushed them hard at Curborough and was surprised how much grip they actually had and they give loads of feedback as they don’t suddenly breakaway like very grippy tyres. A secondary advantage is that they don’t shower your car and the one behind with as many stones which you get with sticky tyres.

Steve, from your posts it seems that you are using Rainsport tyres at 185/60/14. Is that correct? Reason for asking is that I can only find Rainsports on web at 55 profile for 14". Rainexperts are available for profile 60 and above for 14".

My AO21Rs (185/60/14) are several years years old so I'm looking for replacements. Having used AO21s for almost 25 years a change will be a culture shock. Due to wife's ill health the 7 doesn't hasn't had much use in the last couple of years so I can't justify the cost of switching to 13" wheels.     

• 4 years later...