Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing existing oe horns on my 125 Roadsport

intermanxnorton

Triple airhorns with compressor for me. I fitted an extra relay as it draws a fair current. Just check polarity as I recall horn maybe switches the earth (-ve) side ? The horn button is used to energise the relay ... which switches the supply from the battery (fused) to the horns.

Another vote for the Stebel here. Mine is on an added relay. I think there is an air horn relay already in the fuse block(my loom is crossflow)? I think there are short wires already in the loom as well terminated under the scuttle but not connected, but I didn't want to take it apart to find the wires.

Edit to add that on a crossflow loom there is a single horn relay that runs the standard horns on thinish wire, but the same relay has short heavier gauge wires that need to be extended if you wish to run the optional air horns, this circuit is fused at 20amps.

I fitted PIAA sports horns.

Or if you're looking for a cheapo Chinese copy, you could look for these (assuming they're still available somewhere).  At £8.80 (yes, really!), they're practically consumables.  I fitted a pair a year ago, and they work very well, with a LOUD hi-lo duotone.  They're a direct replacement for the standard CC ones (although you'll need to add an earth connection).

JV

There a few electrical points scattered around above: switched earth/ switched feed, current requirements and the need for a relay, existing wiring...

It's possible to add just about any kind of car horn to a Seven without too much effort and the wiring shouldn't put anyone off.

Jonathan

PS: Of course a gentleman's car has town and country horns. :-)

• 1 month later...

FWIW I fitted a Stebel Nautilus to my Seven years ago and I am slightly reluctant to use it because people give you a dirty look as it makes them jump, but that is kind of the point isn't it. *shout*  So I have to say it does what it's meant to do.  It gets their attention!   

Installation is straightforward.  Bolted on in place of the original horn with a relay triggered by the original horn feed, switching a feed taken off the battery with an inline fuse fitted very near the battery. 

I bought the set I mentioned in post #20. They are probably no better than the standard horns and might even be worse. Look good though. I tested them first off the car and they sounded quite loud but once fitted in the bay sounded a bit muffed. I reverted to my CBS set and managed to find a better location in front of the steering rack. The CBS set are quite heavy and bulky and I always felt they were at risk of becoming detached and hitting the alternator belt but shifting them a few inches forward has reduced this risk by quite a bit.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/twin-tone-electric-horns-chrome