Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flywheel swap with engine still in car ?

GPBox

Hi all, my winter project is to fit a lite weight flywheel to my K-series 1600.

I've had the engine/gearbox out before, but am wondering if its feasible to do the FW swap by only taking the gearbox out ?....sounds very tight..but wondered if there is experiecen of this out there

cheers Graham

Oliver has a very good point - you'd want it well held when you're hanging off the end of the torque wrench.

The bolts are 13mm though a 6 sided 1/2" AF fits nice and snug. Forget where I read this - might have been Oilyhands. I got two impact sockets especially for the job (13 and 1/2").

Ian

Beware the standard Rover flywheel bolts are easily damaged during removal (guess how I know!) so use the correct size impact socket along with a Rover flywheel locking tool (on eBay for not a lot) for both undoing and refitting. On refitting ensure the mating faces are clean, then use the old bolts initially to seat the flywheel and then replace with new bolts and torque up correctly. 

People have their own preference about whether it's easier to remove the engine and box together and separate out of the car or just remove the engine and leave the gearbox in.  Personally I'd leave the gearbox in.

Another thing to be aware of is the bolts that hold the clutch cover to the flywheel may not fit.  At least some of the Rover ones are an M7 flange head, which is what Caterham will supply as replacements.  I fitted a TTV flywheel which had holes tapped to M8, used M8 socket heads and a washer instead.

New flywheel to crank bolts should come with patchlock on them but if not you need a drop or two of Loctite 243 or thread sealant on them to stop oil weeping out.

It's a good upgrade but be prepared for the odd embarrassing stall until you get used to it. *whistle*

I have never done this but If you can change a CRB in situ you can change the flywheel in situ. you just have to unbolt the pressure plate and put it in the bellhousing, one can align the clutch plate by taking a measurement on the outside relative to the pressure plate.

I think there is a big difference between slipping in a bearing Vs torquing up flywheel bolts and aligning a clutch. I'm comfortable on the spanners and have deviated from the haynes manual to save time in the past (on various cars) but wouldnt attempt this in situ on a seven.

Ian