Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whats the best battery these days

DRH

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

"So, whats the best replacement that fits straight in. I looked at PVR25/PC680 GEL BATTERY is this a good alternate to Banner and will it fit size and cable wise."

The PVR25 and PC680 are AGM type, not gel type. Current (!) suppliers.

Many of us find them very suitable for use in Sevens. (But take the opportunity to consider whether you'd prefer a lithium battery.)

You'll probably need to bend the strap or fit a new cage. But the PC535 fits the original tray, I suggest checking first.

You'll probably need different length thick cables and may need terminal adaptors. If you don't have access to a suitable crimper it's wise to buy complete cables with the right ends.

If you use a smart conditioning charger make sure that it has an AGM mode.

Jonathan

I find Demon T expensive as a rule but with discount it might work out OK.

I got the powervamp cage then re-sited the battery on the shelf behind the Banner tray (above passenger 's knees so to speak) and the ECU sits on the cage. It's neat, easy to remove and disconnect (i rarely do as i use the car all year) I always meant to use the old Banner space for a tool kit but have been too lazy to bother.

Noticed your still running the inertia fuel cut off.... these can be a PITA if activated by a road 'imperfection' resulting in coasting to a halt more often than not in a very unfortunate or unsafe place.

Since your running an Emerald you don't need it as will cut the fuel pump if theres no crank signal form the engine.

Save weight and inconvenience too *thumb_up* 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

#68:  I've just fitted my third Banner (2008 R400D, 51K miles).  As I said here, I see no reason to change to an alternative brand -- the weight is hardly a problem, they last well (for me, at least) and they're not expensive.

For the record, I did fit a Powervamp 25 in my old 1.8K  SS-R, mounting it in the standard Banner cradle along with some packing:

SS-RPowervamp.thumb.jpg.da98c2eca8dc2958c5012d013b091915.jpg

JV

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick update, in case it helps anyone; I bought a Enduroline EC680 from Tayna for £88 inc delivery in May. The terminals take slightly smaller bolts than the PC680 Odyssey that came with my 620S, but that doesn't really matter as the new battery came with a set of bolts.  Otherwise it slipped straight in and has worked perfectly.  I can't confirm longevity yet, nor the claimed specifications, but I can confirm it works just fine, and is quite a bit cheaper than the Odyssey option.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...