Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Droopy Exhaust

ScottR400D

An odd problem. The other week I noticed the tailpipe of my silencer pointing down at about 45 degrees instead of horizontally. 

Thought one of my small granddaughters had stood on it climbing in (they love to sit in the Caterham!) so slackened the clamp, swung it back up and retightened. 

A few days later it's drooping again. Again repositioned but it's quite easy to rotate down when clamped up and drops on the first few bumps. 

I've changed the clamp for a new one, but it just doesn't clamp the pipe solidly even when fully tightened. I've put exhaust paste on which makes it better but still possible to just push the pipe downwards. 

Any thoughts? I'm using a Mikalor clamp, very similar to the original Norma clamp. 20mm wide band seems a bit wide to exert a good pressure on the pipe, but it was OK for nearly two years till this happened. 

Thanks

Peter

Have you got the clamp as far forward on the female part as you can get it ... So it clamps the tongues on to the pipe ? This makes a lot of difference. If so ... change it for the u-bolt clamp type which will exert a greater clamping force.

Yes, right at the end, the slots are clear and all's clean.

The OE clamp threaded 'nut' was collapsing, as was the support under the head of the bolt but that was just through over tightening trying to get it to hold the silencer. 

The replacement clamp has better 'nuts' and was tightened carefully and fully but the silencer still turned. 

I was thinking of trying a regular U pipe clamp, that would clamp harder but they don't look as neat. 

The bobbin looks fine. The clamps just aren't gripping. Tighten up and you can fairly easily rotate silencer by leaning on pipe. 

System was polished but it's been fine since built in May 15 and I've roughened up end of pipe. 

I've removed my R400 box a couple of times recently and it's gone back nice and tight without me swinging on the spanner. One of those times was to polish it and that included these connection surfaces. If I flex the tail pipe you can see the whole exhaust flex right into the engine. I know this doesn't help you really but it's just for information.

/sites/default/files/images/users/3729/medium_IMG_4428.JPG

I had exactly this problem. The type recommended by Ellie earlier in this thread worked perfectly for me - replacing a Mikalor and giving a huge amount more clamping force. The cheap and nasty u bolt type from your local car spares shop might work but will look scruffy and will be a rusty mess in no time.

Rob