Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New beta of the Build manual from CC

nigelpugh

Very interesting, and thanks for posting.

That's a most imaginative approach.  Someone's clearly been to IKEA! 

When the Beta version is complete, it would be interesting to compare build time for old vs new guides (a sort of usability test).

One big bonus is likely to be the ease with which foreign-language versions can be produced (assuming that's the plan).

JV

The importance of a good manual should not be underestimated, I worked for a company in the TV graphics field that won awards for the clarity of their manuals. If your dropping big bucks on stuff the manual is a great selling tool. Caterham need to be congratulated. It looks fab.

Mind you, I like the IKEA style ones too.

image_57.jpeg.22c6687793fa29a194092280bc8f1bee.jpeg

Nigel,

It's very well produced and looks like it'll be simple to follow - I hope it reduces the "I've built it wrongly but it's CC fault" complaints we've seen recently on other forums. 

Might also reduce the delays new builders face on the post build check where so much has to be rectified before IVA (again as we've seen so graphically lately). 

Maybe I've built too many IKEA products, but that looks a massive improvement to me; to the point that I almost feel like I could be brave enough to give it a go.

If only I had the confidence that, like IKEA, you'd always get the right number of bits and that they would slot together properly. But that's a bit mealy mouthed, it's a big step forwards.

Agreed it looks very good.  However, maybe it needs more info in the top tips bit of just general description for each stage.  For example in the "old" manual when fitting the track rod ends it would give guidance to how many turns you should apply when fitting these to get a basic setup.  Maybe this will come in the V1 release ?

When I built mine I found the existing manual perfectly OK for the bits it covered.... the tricky bit was those it did not (No info on how to set up the cooling pipework which was solved by an emailed hand drawn diagram from CC ) 

"When I built mine I found the existing manual perfectly OK for the bits it covered.... the tricky bit was those it did not (No info on how to set up the cooling pipework which was solved by an emailed hand drawn diagram from CC ) "

I would agree with this. In the case of the cooling, I figured it out, did my own drawing which I scanned and mailed to CC for approval!

Wow! I built a 270 R from Sept 2015 to March 2016 and I must admit I found the current manual lacking in many respects. I distinctly remember reading the very first section many times over with my Dad to try and ensure we were putting the spacing washers in correctly - especially when they were a tight fit and as the first job your worried about hurting your pride and joy. This would be a huge improvement, remove much of the doubt and really clarify things. 

I'm still in build mode at the moment, nearing completion. A lot of me wishes I had access to this IKEA style guide before I started, but a bit of me doesn't. You see I'm already getting that rose tinted spectacles feel about all of the trials and tribulations along the way. It may seem like a weird thing to say, but with each sub-assembly made around twice as hard by having to decipher gibberish, not be able to get hold of Derek, or even reviewing 3 differing views on other build blogs, I fear a little satisfaction and emotional attachment to each sodding bolt will be taken away ;)

Before I started the build I was so nervous that I may be left with the odd random bolt and not know where it was missing from. As I exit the build I have so many bolts/washers/nuts left with a little bit of extra spend on some body panels, I think I have all the parts needed to build an Aero7. 

I fear these new improvements have something to do with Brexit. Bring back complexity and red tape. I was happier there. 

When I built mine in '96, I went down to Dartford and had a tour into the back *blabla* . I asked one of the fitters about a particular part of the assembly that I'd found tricky and referred to the page in the build manual.

His reply 'No idea mate, we all build 'em differently, and none of us use the manual' *rofl*

Feedback For Caterham Nigel - one of the current challenges is presenting engine sections for each variation and it's not quite right. They really need to think about ensuring that it's easy to understand which section is for each car variant. Also here are plenty of things that are not even in the build guide currently. Off the top of my head things like 420R oil catch tank extra hole drilled. Or how about remembering to mention that you have to earth the water submarine! Derek must be bored being skied the same stuff over and over again. I would ensure the top 10 things he gets repetitively asked are all in the guide as the tips, a bit like those tip bubbles in the beta excerpt. They would be better integrated into each section, not as a floating few pages up front. 

I wonder if they could have a simple tick list on the download section where you pick your car (e.g. SV or not), engine (e.g. 360 or 620) and any extras (e.g. spare wheel rack or quick release wheel) and it compiles a single pdf specific to your build.  

Regardless of the above, the new guide looks fantastic.