Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tools required for Build

pogmothoin62

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for everyboody's comments. I've only just read them as I'm a total novice on this style of communication. 

Just started my build and hit a problem already...I hope this isn't a taste of things to come. The manual says for the steering rack go to fastener pack 30S003A but I have pack 30S003B and the bolts to hold the steering rack in place don't want to go into the drilled holes. Should they be a super tight tap in with a hammer fit or have I got the wrong bolts!

Thanks if anyone can advise.

Rack and clamps to frame?

Careful with That Hammer, Eugene!

I haven't heard of that pack change: ask the factory or wait for someone with a recent build to comment. Usual check list:

1. Identify all the other bolts.
  2. Check with the Club Bolt List and Fastener Packs. That one is in the Bolt List, bit of course it might have changed.
  3. Learn to size the bolts etc as well as finding the right one from the pack. You can do that off a known one, or by using an app.
  4. Run the correct bolt through from either direction on its own first if it's all difficult to assemble with the bits attached. (I didn't have to but I think it's not unknown to need to retap during a new build.)
  5. If all else fails go for a walk/ have a cup of coffee/ build another bit and then come back to it. This is effective beyond all known logical explanations. :-)

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

I was a tad worried too with the hammer! I can't find anything other than those particular bolts that look like they may fit and am suspicious given it states use steering fastening pack A and I have pack B! I'm trying to get hold of somebody at Caterham to ask - BUT Bank Holiday Weekend...whoop whoop!

Ian 

Pack 30S003B is listed on CC's Online Store, but unfortunately the photo is of 30S003A!

The bolts that hold the rack to the chassis platform used to be M6 x 70 capheads (Item 1 on the sheet).  What bolts of that size (or thereabouts) are listed on your 30S003B pack sheet?  Do you have a vernier caliper that you could use to measure the diameter of your bolts?  And are they 70mm long or something else?  Can you compare your pack sheet with Paul Deslandes 30S003A PDF and post up any differences?

And when you say "don't want to go into the drilled holes", do you mean the holes in the rack clamps or the holes in the chassis platform?  Certainly they should slide through easily without the help of a hammer.  If the bolts fit the clamps ok but not the chassis platform, I'd suggest gently reaming out the chassis holes with a round file.  Maybe it's a bit clogged with powdercoating?  Alternatively, of course, you've simply got the wrong bolts!  

JV

Joh having spoken to Ian Im pretty sure he has the right bolts, m6 70 cap heads and they fit the clamps no problem but they dont go through the chassis so you are probably right in the reeming out.

he has a worse issue in the trying to put the drivers side lower wishbone in the rear bolts will not go fully through the chassis,wishbone,washers,chassis, nut. the through direction must be a mm or two out ?

I am sure I heard of one similar on BC a few months ago, anyone remember ? and what the solution was...being sent back me thinks.

alan

ps did you see your Pau race on tv yesterday, on Quest and an Elva?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback.  The wishbone bolts sound a bit worrying.  I seem to remember mine needed a whack with a rubber mallet to help them through. The risk of course is damage to the threads.

And thanks for the Pau pointer! I'm watching it right now on Quest. 

JV