Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uprated brake master cylinder alternatives

CaterBram

I've done a drum to disc conversion on a live axle, with the increase in piston size on the disc brakes the brake pedal is deffinatly softer,  I know the standard master cylinder is 5/8" and the updated 13/16" but I think the live axle is actually smaller than the current standard.

It's not a case of replacing the seals as fundementally the current master cylinder is fine just under sized now.

To move suffient oil to correctly operate the rear brakes i've got a longish soft pedal travel.

By swapping to a upgraded master cylinder I should get a shorter, firmer pedal travel, I accept that to get the same braking force the affectivly I need to press harder,  

I recently switched to the upgraded MC, it's a lot better. Less travel and firmer, requires more shove but feels so much better. I wish I'd changed long ago instead of putting up with a slightly spongey pedal that gets worse on track (in spite of being properly bled, new fluid etc, you need to try a car with one to really appreciate the difference. I don't think there are any alternatives, it's a special made for CC. 

After a bit of snooping around today, it turns out I already have a 13/16" or 0.8125 master cylinder. The AP part number on the body is CP3627-101C. The internet doesn't bring up much from this part number. A few threads on Westfield and Marcos forums.

Mankee, that's spot on, 

reading through the other forums the body is the CP3627-101C and the complete unit with reservoir is CP4627-2PRM100 . The Marcus forum even points to a stockist. I've sent them an email and will see what comes back.

Picked up one interesting fact which have never twigged before which i'll put down in case someone else finds it useful in future, the ports are marked P & S

P is the prime circuit which is connected to the front

S is the secondary circuit which is connected to the rears.

on pressing the pedal the prime circuit operates first and then after closing a clearance gap the Secondary circuit operates.

• 8 months later...