Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing 7inch headlights to 5 3/4

Sallen43

I've just bought some smaller headlamps and I want to fit them (obviously).  The headlamps have come with a loom, but no connector to join to my body loom connector?  i understand that the wires have to go through a tube and therefore cannot have a connector at both ends before fitting, but where do I get one from? Or do I pull the wires out of the current connector? Or do I cut and solder? All advice appreciated if anyone has done this?

Sam

Best price I found on ebay earlier this month was these people:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Econoseal-AMP-Waterproof-Electrical-Wiring-Multi-Connectors-2-3-4-6-Way-Pin-/271674203749?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item3f410b5e65

You'll need a 6-way connector per headlight (unless your loom is somehow different from mine). Technically you'll only need the plugs but the above I found to be cheaper for the full set than most people were asking for just the male half...

Slide the rubber grommets onto the wires, crimp the pins on, click the pins into the black plastic housing (you might need snipe nose pliers to pull them all the way into place) and then, finally, click the yellow locking plate in.

I have also in the past done the cut / solder / heatshrink trick to attach new wires to an old plug, but for the couple of quid it saves vs the time it takes and the possibility of a dry solder joint later, I don't think it's worth it.

Have fun!

*smile*

I did this last year. You should be able to remove the connector from the old headlights and fit to the new wires after threading them through the headlamp bracket. Use a very small screwdriver to unlock each pin (press down the tab) inside the connector.

• 11 months later...

Keeping with the thread.....do give removing the old pins a go, they come out easily (once the white section inside the plug has been removed first) each pin has a tiny tab you need to move towards the pin you're removing (you'll see what I mean) the tricky bit is not damaging the little bellows type water seals on each pin as you push them through the tubing. A spot of sealant will do the trick if you do. 

I did this job last year and it really doesn't take much time at all.

I would suggest that you try them first by connecting them to a battery to check that the beam pattern is ok.  Even though bought from a reputable supplier, mine were almost an MoT failure as one was so poor.

There's nothing wrong with the shells but the lamp leaves a lot to be desired and, although I haven't done it yet, I'm planning to change the internals for one with the prismatic type lenses, discussed on Blatchat a year or so ago.  It's not just the bulbs but the reflector as well.  The thread goes on a bit but there's some good info there.

A number of 7 folk have gone for these and that's where I intend to go when I get around to it.  At £28 a pair, plus bulbs, it's a worthwhile improvement.

If you never drive at night you might not be worried but a strict MoT man might cause you a bit of grief if they're as bad as mine.

You might want to check this before you go to the trouble of rewiring them and then have to change them again.

Paul

I'll be running PIAA lights once mine is back on the road, I ran a BB a while back for them.

They have a modern flat dip beam so great for use in Europe too,

Set on lowered brackets they look neat and whats more you can see at night !

I've got head tourches that are more powerful and have a better pattern that the light CC use!

http://www.piaa.co.uk/lamps/lampshow.asp?ID=80EVO