Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Omex 600

zetec

Lamba sensor is not for emission.

It's to calibrate the injection.

To determine how much fuel the injectors should spray inside the engine.

I do, hugely but things must move onwards!!

I needed to get rid of very old weber alpha system & some jenveys came up too.

Didn't want to do it this quick but it's gunna happen now *rolleyes* 🥰

A wideband lambda sensor is used by whoever maps the ECU and engine, whereas a narrowband lambda sensor, what most cars now have, just adjusts the fuelling at low and steady revs to improve fuel economy. i.e. Cruising on a motorway should give better fuel economy with a lambda sensor fitted.

My Omex 600 was mapped, but I didn't have the narrow band lamnda sensor with me, so it wasn't setup for it. I added it later and the engine ran too rich at steady revs, so I removed it. I'll bring it the next time I get the engine mapped again.

There are some intelligent ECUs now appearing in the USA, which use a wideband sensor and continually map the ECU. No more rolling road sessions!

Edited by - keybaud on 22 May 2014 19:31:45

Craig,

The Omex 600 can only work with a narrow band lambda.

There is a page in Map3000 where you can set the maximum trim authority that it can exercise. The settings you can adjust are revs below which it will trim, engine load % (TPS) below which it will trim and max % fuel trim (injector pulse duration).

When the Steve's mapped my car they used their Wideband probe. They then put my narrowband probe in and set the authority so that it trims to achieve lambda 1.0 up to motorway cruising speeds (3500rpm around 30% throttle and max 15% fuel trim) if I remember correctly. So the lambda trim only operates when I am cruising the motorway, bimbling through town or at MoT time (even though I am visible smoke only).

This set up helps me get up to 40mpg on longer runs, but doesn't stop the grin when blatting 🥰

Phil

Are you running with a cat?

If not have it mapped with a wideband - normal process for the likes of Emerald and 2 steves, after this you should then be able to run in open loop format ie without lambda control, this will allow the engine to use the fuel map that was preset by whoever mapped it and will give much better fuel economy on cruise as it will (depending on engine spec) lean off to 18+:1 whereas a Lambda will maintain 14.7:1 - in order to keep the cat happy.

So no cat, proper map, open loop = job done,

Again MOT emissions can easily be exceeded with a good map

If the boss has been fitted for a while, you might want to check it can be undone easily before RRing. They can get very settled... 😔

My crossflow runs an Omex (710 in my case) and on our Alps run last year we averaged about 35mpg, which was about 10mpg better than I used to get on carbs, although too be honest, I don't always record fuel consumption, so that might have been especially good.

Andy