Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intercom headsets and hearing protection.

Hi all. Just about to purchase a Starcom digital intercom with Bluetooth module for the7. Choice between Peltor style headset and light weight in ear headset with light weight boom, as favoured by Morgan owners!

Some time since anyone made comment on preferences. Would appreciate some feedback.

Interested in opinion on comfort, hearing protection and general ease of use.

Also was planning on fixing unit to rear bulkhead in boot. Have found a 12v feed ready to go in boot, and was under impression that starcoms extra professional fitting kit not necessary as no need for long leads if just feeding them over boot cover ready to plug headset in to.

Any opinions? .

Thanks.

We have the Starcom digital and use it with both the Peltor style headsets (though ours are home-made) and the in ear style headset with boom mics.

We had to experiment quite a bit to find the right earpieces for the in-ear headsets but they are super comfy, although a little fiddly to put on. We use the peltor headsets for shorter journeys and find them to be oppressive and uncomfortable in warmer weather.

The Starcom digital is very intuitive to install and use, though it took us a few outings to achieve the correct individual settings. It really is a good piece of kit. Ours is installed on the boot side of the rear bulk head, without the use of fancy fitting kits.

• Leadership Team

Mark, excellent set of photos *thumbup*

Upstoke, I'm currently in a similar position to you in trying to decide which way to go but with Autocom rather than Starcom (actually the same company now). My plan is to copy what I have on my motorbike - an Autocom setup which gives full rider to pillion and bike to bike comms, and I can even make and receive mobile phone calls.

The key to the system though is the Garmin sat nav and I'd investigate that as part of your install and how it will interact with the intercom. The Garmin can provide the comms control and music feed and is located where you can control it unlike the intercom unit. I use a Garmin Zumo which is bike specific .... works with big gloves on, waterproof etc.

As an aside, in the 7 I'm currently using a pair of "Soundears" from Ultimate Ear to receive stuff from the sat nav. No bulk and they block the noise out reasonably well, although not quite as effective as a good pair of (new) foam earplugs for noise reduction. I'd investigated Nanocomm ear/mic setups to work with an Autocom but it's just getting too expensive!

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 16 Apr 2014 07:53:26

• Support Team
I never liked the ear defender type headsets as they don't work well with glasses (lots of wind noise) and they get hot and sweaty in the summer. I have the Microcom in ear headset with custom moulded ear bud. They work very well both in use and in noise reduction although on longer journeys I find the hard plastic piece can get a bit uncomfortable. They can also be used under a helmet but again the plastic bit is a bit uncomfortable for me. Other people don't seem to have the same comfort problem.

I've been thinking of getting a set - kids are going out in the car more and more and it's difficult having a conversation with them when a) they're wearing kids peltor ear defenders and b) I'm going deaf!!

Will probably go for cans as easier for the kids and look at in ear options later. The Morgan endorsed starcom1 set up looks reasonable.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for your replies.

Stu , interesting idea using sat nav to connect with phone and music. Will look at that.

Thanks for pictures Mark. Not sure my instillation will be that professional looking!

I think the in ear solution from starcom looks to be my favoured option. Need to keep costs contained so a custom moulded earpiece will have to wait. Starcom suggested I get one in ear headpiece and one Peltor set up and try both. Both seem to have their merits and a Peltor set will be better for "guest" passengers as easier to put on and easily made hygienic.

Cheers

Jim.

I use the Microcom from Sensorcom (same as starcoms unit but cheaper as they make them).

Thoroughly recommend custom moulded ear inserts, also available from Sensorcom, and not that expensive - tell them you are in the club as they used to do a club offer.

I found the ear-defender style cans uncomfortable, sweaty in hot weather, and the headband presses uncomfortably onto the top of your head after more than 40min.

Also worth going for a proper PMR radio for car to car comms, rather than one of the cheaper personal recreational units, as I think some others have found and they had to upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used converted Peltor defenders for years - alway with glasses as I'm an aeroscreener.

I was also outfitted with hearing aids at the tender age of 42 earlier this year. Shaun's comment about the wind noise risk from combining ear defenders and glasses is quite valid.

To be honest, windscreenies are probably in denial - I ran the seven with a screen (and full side screens) for a few months before converting to aeros - and found that ear plugs were essential even under those conditions.

Seriously - from experience - look after your hearing. Damage is cumulative (I believe) and by the time you start to notice that you are struggling, it's too late.

Ordered my system the day before your post Stu ☹️. Received today Starcom digital hub, Bluetooth module and one set each of peltor style headset and light weight in ear headset( as I couldn't decide which would be best so trying both) however all arrived today and light weight in ear with boom is same as Intaride but at £27 from Intaride and £70 from Starcom. However total cost of everything they sent, along with their phone advice, was £404 with club discount which I was happy with *smile*. Defo look at Intaride if I decide to get additional light weight in ear set.

Will post when it's up and running, so if you hear nothing for ages then you know that spare 12v lead I found in my boot isn't correct supply.

Jim

• Leadership Team

Oops 😬! I've just sourced an Autocom SPA unit to mount in the boot on the bulkhead along with my Kenwood radio, enabling car to car comms. I've also been investigating swapping to a remote antenna on the Kenwood and making some good progress ... although mounting it on the scuttle might be a bit wanna-be-F1-driver-ish 😳

Stu.

Being new to this what do I need ?

Want music / radio input

Not bothered about car to car

Want cans not in ear

Presumably PTT is push to talk?

So how does it work in practice? Driving along listening to Deep Purple Black Night (Aidan's favourite) and he wants to speak to me - what happens next? Does he need to push a button?

Ian

Hi Ian,

For driver to passenger the systems use VOX (voice operated switching), so when either of you speaks the music fades down a bit, and then returns to normal level after a second or two of microphone silence.

PTT (Push to talk) can then be added for car-to-car and enables the mic conversation to be transmitted via a PMR radio to other cars.

They're not cheap, but Autocom or Starcom (both now owned by the same company) are generally regarded as the best dedicated systems.

Depending on the model you can also connect a mobile phone, and Satnav to them as well.

Some models allow only one music source and one phone on the system, whereas ones such as the Starcom Digital allow driver and passenger to have their own music sources and phones.

As for "cans", they're often called "Practice Headsets" and can be expensive from the above manufacturers, however there are plenty of threads on here about buying the in-helmet mic/speaker kits and mounting them in Peltor Ear Defenders.

Personally, I started off with the "cans" but now use the Microcom 3 (from Sensorcom) in-ear sets with custom moulded earbuds.

I found the cans were uncomfortable for anything longer than an hour, with the headband becoming uncomfortable and the ear cups sweaty in hot weather.

HTH *wink*

Kingsley, I got mine from Sensorcom as they're fairly local.

However, if you give them a bell and tell them where you are, I think they will suggest a place local to you to get the moulds done, and then they will make the buds.

Cost was about £60 a pair all in I seem to recall; and well worth it.