Click here if you are having website access problems ×

On the road without a bonnet??

Ivaan

You will indeed be in trouble. If anyone was unlucky enough to come in contact with front of the car, you've got a hot engine block and moving parts uncovered.

Daily Mail link for something else with no bonnet (and a few other bits missing)

Edit: I'd suggest it's covered by Section 2A Road Traffic Act 1998 Para 2 here

Mike

Edited by - michaeljclark on 11 Apr 2014 19:52:49

Hi Martyn,

Now that's a good idea. Then brekky in the cafe too! 😬

I've never managed to get onto the airfield, as the gates have been shut when I've been down there. Can you turn around, or will I have to get out and push?

Clive

• Leadership Team

Quoting michaeljclark: 
You will indeed be in trouble. If anyone was unlucky enough to come in contact with front of the car, you've got a hot engine block and moving parts uncovered.

Daily Mail link for something else with no bonnet (and a few other bits missing)

Mike

Edited by - michaeljclark on 11 Apr 2014 19:52:49

There is absolutely nothing in that article that suggests it would be illegal to drive with the bonnet removed, all comments relating to doors/bonnet missing also include reference to other aspects that are clearly illegal, eg. lights.

Stu.

Quoting michaeljclark: 

"A person is also to be regarded as driving dangerously for the purposes of sections 1 and 2 above if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous."

I don't think it's at all obvious that driving it with the bonnet off would be dangerous. You might come up with some arguments as to why it's dangerous (perhaps exposed exhaust manifolds, but that's no worse than an exposed catalytic converter as found on my car), but it wouldn't be obvious, IMHO.