Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 6sp manual vs seq box... thoughts...?

What's the thoughts?

Pro's and con's would be great to hear....?!?!??!?!?!?

May ask CC to change it to a seq box after seeing this video:

Quoting Blokko: 
Sequential is very noisy apparently. Not an issue for track, but could be an issue if you do road miles....
Was the case for the old dog box, but new helical cut gears are supposed to be much quieter..?

Nigel Pugh has had R500s with both gearboxes - he's your man to talk too. Not sure if he's on BC these days, but can be found on Pistonheads.

Quoting Grant_7: 
Nigel Pugh has had R500s with both gearboxes - he's your man to talk too. Not sure if he's on BC these days, but can be found on Pistonheads.

Cheers *thumbup* I speak to Nigel regularly, however, the last R500 he had was with a dog box, not the helical one... He swears by the manual,but there's something cool about going balls out on an R500 IMO...

My daily driver is a manual 997 C2S, so do I really need a manual caterham too?

Only you can answer this. I'd go for the manual as I like the extra involvement of a manual, but then I wouldn't have chosen an R500 in the first place even I could afford one *smile*

Nice position to be in.

Duncan

Then you had better speak to me.

My car will be running this year in the sprint champs with full semi auto.

It runs paddle shift but by adjusting the maps and gear functions and settings other than selecting 1sr gear on the start I won't touch the paddles or clutch again until after the finish!

All on MBE ECU also - but tnot the standard Caterham one.

I recently moved from a H pattern (Quaife 5 sp.) to a Sadev seq. with flatshift.

My car is a track car only.

The other point to consider is that the H pattern requires lot less efforts to switch gears compared to a seq.

With a seq. you really need to push/pull quite hard, with a H pattern you change gears with 2 fingers.

It really depends how you plan to use your car.

On the other hand, what is cool with a seq. is that you can fit a flatshift *cool*

Edited by - Catastrada on 4 Apr 2014 10:52:38

Quoting Delbert: 
just to add a bit into the mix

why 6 speed ?

I am finding the torque curve on mine means I so rarely change gear

I can do the whole of Llandow in third and only just hit rev limiter before the timing cabin

You've not even dropping to 2nd for the bus stop?

In my 6 speed Supersport I'm swapping cogs pretty often. 2nd for Bustop, short shift to 3rd before Nook, 4th on the hanger straight and then back to 3rd before the chicane and then into 4th halfway down the runway straight. I am running about half your power though 😬.

You've not even dropping to 2nd for the bus stop

No and still the wheels span if I applied the power to harshly exiting

Just realised my Engine is Jason built / Cosworth parts so maybe I have a different torque cure, but it peaks very early at 175 torques

The Sadev is much quieter than the Quaife .I had a few laps round Brands in the old CC demonstrator with the quaife box and it was REALLY noisy , the Sadev on the other hand , whilst a bit clunky is far more acceptable .

Don't forget to think about ratios as well . In my opinion the sadev ratios are well matched to the Duratec .The 6 speed is a bit low geared for the bigger engines with more torque .

I've got a Quaife 6 speed straight cut sequential dog box in my R500 and I think it's brilliant. Anyone who has ridden a bike will be used to going down the gears a you slow to a stop and you can change through the gears when at a standstill if you lift the clutch slightly to align the dogs. The noisy boxes are the straight cut ones which give gear whine. Helical or semi helical is much quieter but in an R500 does a bit of gear whine really matter?

A flatshift can be installed on any sequential dog engagement gearbox but shouldn't be used on a synchromesh gearbox if you want the synchromesh to last. They can be installed in many ways but an off the shelf closed loop system which cuts the ignition through a strain gauge or microswitch on the gear lever is the easiest to install. Autoblips on the downchange are more difficult to set up well but there are systems available which do it.

• Area Representative

Surely if you want a refined touring 7 you might as well buy an Roadsport or a lower powered superlight? I would have thought a sequential gearbox on a R500 would be fantastic. Yes it is noisy but that is what a car like this will be, wear some earplugs.

I have seen some videos of Nigel Pugh driving his R500 and he might as well be driving an R300 and I am not criticising his driving only pointing out that he could go just as quick if not quicker in a lower powered seven, so not sure he would be the best one to ask about the merits of a sequential gearbox.

If you want a quick seven then buy a H pattern car, any will do upwards of a R300/Supersport, but of you want a balls out car then an R500 with a sequential would IMHO be the answer.

A previously said going down the box at a junction is not a problem and can easily be done at standstill. It takes a while to get used to a sequential box but once mastered they are brilliant on road or track. I always wear earplugs to suppress the clonking and whining.

Nick

Quoting bluenose: 
Surely if you want a refined touring 7 you might as well buy an Roadsport or a lower powered superlight? I would have thought a sequential gearbox on a R500 would be fantastic. Yes it is noisy but that is what a car like this will be, wear some earplugs.

I have seen some videos of Nigel Pugh driving his R500 and he might as well be driving an R300 and I am not criticising his driving only pointing out that he could go just as quick if not quicker in a lower powered seven, so not sure he would be the best one to ask about the merits of a sequential gearbox.

If you want a quick seven then buy a H pattern car, any will do upwards of a R300/Supersport, but of you want a balls out car then an R500 with a sequential would IMHO be the answer.

A previously said going down the box at a junction is not a problem and can easily be done at standstill. It takes a while to get used to a sequential box but once mastered they are brilliant on road or track. I always wear earplugs to suppress the clonking and whining.

Nick

*thumbup* *arrowup*Quite probably the best answer and I can't disagree with anything you've written. I'll see if CC will let me change to a seq box if I'm not too late... If not I'll stick to the H pattern box, then upgrade to the seq so I can experience both!