Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It's the little things...

gundersen

OK, it did say little things!

Took a while to remember but mirrors reminded me of one. Attached length of 2cm right angle aluminium to inside of side screens (about 25cm long) using the mirror bolt holes plus one more so rigidity improved and it sandwiches itself to the scuttle trim when side screen closed so no more mirror vibrations even at 160kph.

Another one was usually have the passenger torneau on but it would come undone particularly at the rear at speed so got rid of the standard press stud fasteners on the centre front and rear and replaced them with Tenax centre lift fastener. Problem solved

[pQuote=Cheapest upgrade, eventually locating & taping over the end of the indicator buzzer as the BEEP BEEP really was just too loud.

I've spent ages trying to find this elusive thing - where is it? *confused*

Quoting Al7: 
[pQuote]Cheapest upgrade, eventually locating & taping over the end of the indicator buzzer as the BEEP BEEP really was just too loud.

Al, ours just sort of dangles behind the dash, just to the left of the steering column. But then ours wheezes like an asthmatic hamster locked in a soundproofed room, so this may be due to a previous owner digging it out and filling it with glue....

due to a previous owner digging it out and filling it with glue....

I'd like to do far, far worse things to it than fill it with glue!! Once I find it *mad*

Making my own seat base using vacuum clothes bag, polystyrene beads, papier-mâché, two cans of expanding insulation foam, duck tape and alcantara. Total cost about 20 quid, total benefit in terms of comfort (and distances I can now cover) - priceless :o)

The Little Thing:

Going from max to min castor on my Duratec-engined SV Roadsport (15" wheels). Was set up for minimum understeer, but steering now lighter and much more communicative for road use, if still not quite as nice as an S3 with 13" wheels.

The Expensive Thing:

Caterham roller barrel conversion. Wakes the Duratec up beautifully!

Don't want to hijack this thread, but could someone explain to me why 13 inch wheels are so much better than 16 inch - and how do you deal with the loss of ground clearance?

PS - best mods - SBFS half roof and saddlebags, high level light mounted on the roll bar - I've heard a lot fewer brake screeches behind me since fitting that!

Edited by - Anton on 18 Oct 2013 22:37:42

Quoting Anton: 
Don't want to hijack this thread, but could someone explain to me why 13 inch wheels are so much better than 16 inch - and how do you deal with the loss of ground clearance?
The answers are in the archives, but scattered all over the place. If you search for "wheel size road height" you'll see what I mean.

Issues include

... wheel size affects choice of tyre

... overall circumference depends on tyre size

... overall circumference affects gearing

... ride height... leads onto adjustable suspension length

... clearing cycle wings

... mass, weight and rotational inertia

... appearance

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting stronger poppers to my half hood so it doesn't come loose at speed, they may fit stronger poppers from new now so don't panic if you've just bought one.

Adding poppers to to my shower cap so it doesn't just rely on the elastics.

High level brake light.

Day time running lights.

Direct oil pressure gauge.

12volt multi outlet.

Dave *smile*

• 9 months later...

Quoting C7HJE: 
Any pictures or info on the daytime running lights?

One thing I was thinking of doing in the near future.

Regards

C 7 HJE

*smile*

I've fitted These in the side lights which work just as well and as bright as DRL's I had fitted but they're not too bright.

Dave *smile*