Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series tapping/clicking/knocking?! With video!

TomCat1

This is a 1.8 vvc 160. Tappets have been replaced which have made it a lot quieter. On tick over its quiet, as soon as you get to 2.5-3k it starts with this! Few people are saying it's piston slap, others say it's something to do with the crank, has anyone else had a similar sound?

Video

Many thanks

Tom

Is the noise high up or low down? Did it suddenly start?

If high up there's a good chance it is the VVC mechanism (or part of), according to various Rover forums. Is the noise coming from around the VVC solenoid area?

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 8 Aug 2013 10:35:45

Giles - I thought it was high up hence the tappets, but some mechanics seem to think its bottom end. Its been tappety for a while but sometimes i can rev up to 3k without it making a noise, others i only have to go to 2.5 and then it starts.

Ive set the go pro up with the mic under the bonnet to try and take a better video.

RJ - Few people have mentioned exhaust, wouldn't that be a consistent sound?

Odd that the noise is not always present. That suggests oil not getting somewhere it should, at the top end. Does it make a difference if it is hot or cold - point being, is it something that clears as the oil thins with heat? To be fair IMHO the engine would give up pretty quickly if the bottom end is warn to any great extent, from what you say this has been going on for a while which would lead me back to top end issue. Engine flush might be worth a try if something is partially blocked restricting oil flow. Cheers Ian

It sounds like it could be something VVC related, possibly the HCU next to the inlet, if the noise only manifests itself after 2500-3000rpm, when the control unit changes the timing of the VVC mechs. I have no experience of VVC apart from removing it all and blanking it off though.

You could try disconnecting the sensors on the HCU (two I think) and seeing if the noise comes back. It might not rev as normal but it doesn't matter for the purposes of the test. If it revs to 3000rpm without the noise coming back, then you know it's something VVC-related.

Good luck!

After leaving it all night...here it is!

You can hear the tapping almost straight away so you dont have to bore yourself and watch all of it, only reason i left it running was because it started to hunt. Also, skip to 9.30 can you hear the induction sucking? Its only started to do this after they have messed with the top end, its hunting...bad, revving on its own free will and that constant sound of sucking....

Video

Edited by - TomCat1 on 9 Aug 2013 09:17:16

just looked for 4mins,could'nt stand it any more,NO OIL PRESSURE.

you should have stopped straight away

take sump pan off,then remove oil pickup pipe and see if its 95% blocked

sounds like oil starvation to me.

a quick way,take off oil filler cap,put a clear plastic bag over the hole and get the misses to turn the engine over and see if oil spits out.

I ve read you've got new tappets ,but it still sounds like tappet to me,can you run it without camcover for a few secs to get a better idea of the location of the noise .Don't think its loud enough for serious bottom end/slap problem.

I think you need to see exactly what's going on with your oil pressure. The comment from your garage saying that the oil pressure is dropping under load is worrying. I would get a mechanical gauge fitted yesterday.

As Colin says, take the sump off and have a look at the pickup. Do you have a foam filter in there? If this is disintegrating that could be blocking the pickup when under load.

There's still a chance it's some thing top end related, but a drop in oil pressure is not normally good news. Please don't drive it until you have checked the oil pressure/sump situation out.

Regards,

Giles

If there really was no oil pressure, it would have come home on a recovery truck. Oil starvation would very quickly go from clicking to overheating, banging, wrecked engine from personal experience.

I've had similar sounds on engines before. As others have said, exhaust gasket leaking. Similarly, inlet leak, which also causes other running problems like bad idle and random revving. Same with any other leaks on the inlet side after the throttle body.

Timing out of whack, due to the vvc, incorrect timing, or belt tensioner loose or failed, although noise normally go quiet at high revs if the belts not jumped sprocket teeth, as the higher speed and load tends to keep the driving side of the belt taut against the reaction of the cam loads. Tensioner failed on a mondo. Awful at low revs, silent and normal at high revs.

Hard to tell properly on a video, but sounds more top end than bottom. Bottom end normally sounds "heavier" and deeper, quiet(er) at low revs and harder and noisier at higher revs and loads.

Bri

Quoting TomCat1: 
...I'm not driving it. I drove it...
I'm probably not the only one to spot a small inconsistency there. *smile*Re the area of the noise, I'm with Bricol -- much more top-end than bottom, I think. And I agree about the recovery truck...

JV

I agree with the noise sounding like tappets, it could be one of the tappets is not getting sufficient oil at times (partial blockage) the VVC oil feed drillings are notoriously poorly positioned. However this would not explain the hunting at tickover. It could also be that the VVC mechs were not set up properly on rebuild.

It might be worth checking the valve lift at TDC, if ok in your situation I would bite the bullet and at least strip the head down to the tappets and re-examine.

I am also not sure about why your oil pressure should drop when engine is under load you should take another look at that.

John, driving is present tense, drove is past. I'm not driving it now..

Rs200, I was changing a track, not checking a text, new cars wouldn't be fitted with aux sockets if it was against the law to change tracks on a phone whilst driving..

Back on topic, I'm glad most people think it's a top end issue/vvc related. I'm just waiting for some time off work so I can take it back to my garage, hopefully after your advice I can point them in the right direction.

Thanks for your help