Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicator module ....?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Has anyone come across an indicator module that would enable the indicators to work in the same manner as many new tin-tops, ie. short push for maybe 3 flashes, full push for continuous? Ideally wired through a self centering switch rather than 2 push buttons.

I recall there was a twin button module available some years ago from the USA but I'd prefer to retain a single toggle switch .... finding a suitable switch may prove difficult though!

Stu.

Not a straight answer to your question but...I have the Savage switch dashboard on a 2009 R300 and this has its own controller board. Carbon dash with round silver switches. The indicators on this flash for 30 seconds and then self cancel (if not cancelled by the driver). I found this too long and wanted a shorter or perhaps a variable time before the cancel.

Another member (jakeandizzy - since left the club I think) knocked me up a module that could be wired in between the indicator buttons and the control board to fake a 'cancel' signal after 10 seconds. I have since learned some of the principles of this kind of thing and have been playing with programmable sensor/control boards myself. I don't think it would be too difficult to design and build such a module for the traditional dash.

In the end I didn't fit the module that Jake made me as I got used to the indicators and instead of the little fiddly switches either side of the steering wheel I now have a long self centring toggle switch with a rubber boot on it that works a treat. Positioned in the hole where the left hand indicator switch used to be. Flick up to turn right flick up again to cancel. Down for left.

which type of dash and switches do you have?

Cheers,

Martin

Stu,

That looks exactly what (I had a few years ago also with a momentary on/off/on switch. I thought is was great at first, but actually grew to dislike it immensely...

I simply ditched the unit and ended up with the normal switch but installed a very bright LED warning light instead.

One man's meat etc.......

Headlight switch. Press once for side lights. Press again for full headlights. I have another switch which does flash - also converted to a (smaller) toggle with boot. The flash switch will also toggle to full beam if you have headlights in the full mode.

• Area Representative

Like Chris ,since fitting an LED in place of the dim lamp Caterham fit I always see my indicators are on and cancel.

Nick

I thought about this yesterday - bright sunlight, ear plugs in I cannot see or hear that the indicators are on.

Is it a simple swap bulb to LED - I think there are a couple of diodes to enable the bulb to work and not sure how adding another works??

Also, I think it would be better between the speedo & rev and move the main beam light.

Regards

Ian

Ian,

When I rebuilt my car I ordered a new dashboard from Arch without the pre-drilled holes for the warning lights as I wanted to use different sized LED lights for all the warning lights and change the position of them compared to the original set-up.

If you have a look here and scroll down you'll see a photo of my current warning light layout. From top to bottom the lights are: yellow, oil pressure warning light; red, alternator charging; green, indicators; blue, main beam. The only difference is the oil warning light has been changed to a large blue one as the yellow wasn't bright enough.

With aeros I, too, use earplugs and can't hear the indicators but have found that even in bright sunlight the LED light is easily noticed. However, they're bl%dy bright at night !

I can't recall which LEDs I used now but Bluenose might be able to clarify as he did the rewiring on my car. From what I can remember these LEDs do not require and diodes.

I've been developing a unit for a while and have a number of prototypes in service,

outline details here.

- steering wheel mounted push-button operation or dash-mounted sprung toggle switch

- electronic auto self cancel when steering wheel centres

- pre-settable time-out

- simple fit to existing wiring

options:

- loud warning 'clicker'

- brakes-on timer hold (indicators don't time-out if brakes are on whilst holding at a junction)

Expressions of interest welcome.

Paul

Hi Paul, That was the kind of thing I had in mind with my first reply but looks like you have already cracked it. Nice job. What microprocessor/board have you based it on out of interest? Also - is this for the traditional dash and indicator/relay setup or for the new (Savage style) dash or both?

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin

its designed for the traditional indicator/hazard setup and, essentially, replaces the dash mounted toggle switch, connecting directly to the three existing switch wires. The hazard function is unaffected. It needs a connection to the ign switched +12V and chassis plus fitting of the steering wheel button panel or sprung toggle and the steering wheel position sensor which can go either just behind the wheel or on the column/scuttle in the engine bay.

My original effort a few years ago used discrete components which worked ok but was totally inflexible if I wanted to introduce new features. The new microcontroller version is based on a Picaxe 18M2 which makes it incredibly flexible and easy to upgrade.

Paul

• Leadership Team

Paul, that sounds pretty well exactly what's needed! Is there the ability to keep an indicator running continuously, eg. by holding a switch down for slightly longer than the usual momentary push? Definitely expressing interest in this one!

Stu.

Hi Stu

if you fit the 'junction-hold option', basically by connecting a wire to the brake light switch, the indicators will flash indefinitely if you hold the brake pedal down. The idea is that the indicators will time out only after you've negotiated the junction, if for some reason the steering wheel centring self cancel hasn't already operated. Once the brake pedal comes off they will time out after 10 seconds if not already auto cancelled.

You can programme the time-out in 5sec steps from 5 to 30 seconds, plus also 60 seconds for testing purposes. In practice 20 to 30 seems to be about right although the self cancel overrides this anyway most situations.

Paul