Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weber DCOE Idle adjustment help please

simon metcalfe

I am trying to set up the idle speed on my crossflow. The warm engine idles at about 1100 rpm - however, whilst the idle adjustment screws on the rear carb impair or improve the performance in the usual way those on the front carb seem to make no difference to the set up at all - even if screwed down to seat completely so I can't set the idle speed up correctly across both carbs. I've unscrewed the screws and cleaned - all seems ok there and have also removed and checked the idle jets themselves - again all ok. The throttle cable, linkage etc is also all ok. Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Make sure both carbs are drawing in the same amount of air by balancing with the throttle stops. If you have not got a suitable gauge, a reasonable job can be achieved by using a length of tubing held to the ear and into each choke in turn and adjusting the stop screws to get an even hiss. Once this is achieved, fine tune the idle with the air control screws.

Have you balanced the carbs properly?

Start with balancing the carbs followed by setting the idle mixture and the idle speed.

Idle speed and idle mixture might have to be done several times to get it right.

If all the jets and passages are clean it should be straight forward,

if you still struggle look for blocked jets, or air leaks, even ignition problems.

Chris.

whilst the idle adjustment screws on the rear carb impair or improve the performance in the usual way those on the front carb

Those do not sound like the idle adjustment screws... they sound like the idle mixture screws.

The idle is adjusted by the throttle stop screw.

But, you do need to get the balance correct, and possible air bleed too.

It is actually very simple - see: http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/adjust.htm