Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Grille behind the grille?

Big Bad Baz

I've just tret me'sen to one of these:

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/img/p/1931-1929-thickbox.jpg

But it got me thinking; that style of grille doesn't seem to offer much protection to the radiator over the mesh grille.

Does one keep the mesh in place?

Quoting Graham King: 
Like M72, I certainly keep my mesh in place, behind the 7 grille. Don't like the idea of a stray stone embedding itself in my radiator.

My thoughts exactly. Do the two sit nicely together, or are they a "comfortable" fit (ie a pain in the arse to fit)?

The plan is to mask off the chrome bits and spray the "7" (probably) yellow.

I made one from some ally grill mesh from b&q. It's wrapped around the inner edge of the nosecone so sits well back. Fibreglassed a few fixings to the inside of the nose and tie wrapped it on.

Painted with etch primer and Matt black which I had in stock. Cost a few £s and a bit of time.

Ian

If you're in the habit of partially blocking off your radiator during the Winter months, then it's best to have the 7 grille at the front as it means that the radiator mask can be fitted without removing the nosecone, and can be removed very quickly if required.

Having the 7 grill behind would also mean that it would only be partially visible when the mask was in place.

Well, it's arrived:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Sciroccology/Converted%20RAW/DSC_6215_1069_zps42a12f92.jpg

Probably going to spray the "7" yellow and the "stays" black so they "disappear".

Halfords do a glow-in-the-dark fluorescent yellow, but I thought that might be OTT...?