Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High level 3rd brake light

Grandmaster Flatcap

This might be a (yet another) dumb question, but...

I've been reading all the posts re fitting a high level 3rd brake light - all very interesting. One thing that I can't find mentioned is drilling a whole in the bar and running the wiring internal to the roll bar, rather than zip tying it externally.

Has anyone done this? Any reason why not to try on a non-track car?

Hi Nigel,

When I made my roll bar I drilled two 13mm holes the same distance apart as the brake light

Then used a slitting disc to cut between the holes and silicon the light into place with the wires on the inside of the roll bar.

Not the best idea for strength,

my roll bar size is 63mm and I fit my roll cage for the track.

Nigel, I fixed mine into place with 2 cable ties and then ran the cable down the roll bar under some black insulating tape. You can hardly see it. Its on the inside edge and so not really visible. I plan to replace the cable lies with black silicon at some point but have not got round to it yet. I have a standard roll bar and the car is all road use to date but I was not happy drilling holes in it.

Mark

Stuck mine with double sided tape to get it central. Once happy, filleted with Sikaflex type goo. Black tape covers the very thin cable down to the boot. Very neat job if I do say so myself. Have a look at LADS on Wednesday.

Has anyone done this? Any reason why not to try on a non-track car?

I drilled 2x 2mm holes to accommodate self tappers to fix the light to the underside of the rollover bar and 1x 6mm hole to feed the wire into. If these three holes significantly affect the strength of the rollover bar then it must have been close to useless to start with.

I chose to fix the light to the underside of the R/bar as I wasn't convinced that the light could have be seen with a half hood on if I'd fitted it anywhere else on the R/bar.

Nothing more than MHO of course.

Edited by - weeman on 3 Mar 2013 16:23:31

Edited by - weeman on 4 Mar 2013 16:43:26

• Leadership Team

Same as Domus - stuck the light unit under the roll bar with the same 3m exterior no more nails tape that I put the number plate on with, then taped the cable to the underside of the down tube with insulating tape - job done!

Very tidy, no sharp edges. *thumbup*

Havent used any sealant as it doesnt budge with just the tape.

• Area Representative
I have not fitted a high level brake light because I don't want the exposed cable. Drilling the bar would be the better approach but ruins the bar. Maybe this is something the manufacturers need to address. (after all surely race cars need brake lights too?)

(after all surely race cars need brake lights too?)

Not necessarily, though actually many cars that didn't previously use brake lights are being forced to have them this year do to a change in the way the MSA interpret their own rules. But in any case they wouldn't generally use high-level brake lights - that position is generally occupied by the rain light. My light is actually switchable from the dash between brake and rain light. I suppose you could argue that the rain light needs similar wiring, but racers aren't generally too precious about looks, and aren't worried by a wire running down one of the cage bars.

• 2 weeks later...