Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Attaching front number plate

Ozzy

How many of you, have a front plate stuck on with Velcro? And does it actually stay on ok, as it's a very narrow flat section on bottom of nosecone.

I don't have a front plate at the moment, but there will be occasions when I suppose I should fit one!

On my old nosecone it was bolted on, but I really want to try and avoid drilling holes in it. Stick on plate is not an option, as I have a noseband and stripe, and it would look carp.

Any suggestions?

Oz.

• Area Representative
Heavy duty velcro from Halfords. Two long strips on nosecone. I have a 3/4 plate on the front and the velcro is across the top of the plate so that it fits flush with the bottom of the grill cut out. Never lost a plate yet *biggrin*

I had an alternative method of a clean front end when I wanted it. I drilled the holes for the front plate then glued (araldite) some plastic nuts on the back of the nose cone to make them captive. Now when I want a clean front I just take the plate off and screw some black number plate screws in. Looks neat. Suppose you have to have a black band or nose cone though. 😳

Driving LE0 every day means the front number plate often gets tapped by a hump, so as well as the tape, I drilled two pairs of holes at the top of the plate, near the ends, and passed a bit of wire through it secured loosely behind the grille.

Since then it has been knocked off the tape twice, but the wire has retained the plate. So a few pence worth of wire has saved me quite a few pounds in new number plates.

I've just purchased my 3rd *eek* front number plate as mine has always been double sided sticky taped on. I find the clear plastic top front part of the plate comes away from the silvered backing foil due to the wind pressure bending the plate backwards and tearing it away from the backing This then allows dirt between the front and back causing MOT failures. So was thinking of using number plate bolts to help keep the plate tighter against the nose.

Edited by - roger heeley on 19 Nov 2012 10:40:39

I used some plastic bent in the middle to around 90 degrees, this is then mounted to the underside of the nosecone with heavy duty velcro, meaning the number plate is much lower acting as a bit of a front splitter and is securely held.

Only pic I have is this one from last month -

http://www.racelife.co.uk/DSC_6452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Same as Beverlonian except I drilled small holes in the lower edge and used 5mm rivnuts glued into the holes. I painted them the same colour as the noseband (silver) and it's barely noticable without a number plate. Paint the head of the screw either black or white depending on where the holes are in the number plate. I chop and change between a full sized legal plate (for road use) to undersize or not at all when not using the car on the road. All works a treat for me and a doddle to change a plate over.