Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Polishing ally?

Colwise

It depends on a/. starting condition, and b/. what finish you want to achieve

I've been working through the following - to see how much work is involved, and see what finish I end up with. Information gleaned from various threads on blatchat + some metal finishers.

This on a new, alu clad chassis.

Initial work - to get rid of the grain :-

Wet/dry - working thru the grades

Wire wool + lubricating oil

Trizact Pads (3M) - working thru the grades.

Polishes :-

Belgom Alu

Mothers MAg and Alu polish

Brasso

Trizact Pads, down to P3000.

Worn Trizact P3000 pad with one of the above polishes on it.

As a result of the above, the new bodywork is currently a mix of many different finishes.

My current preferred option is to use p240/p360 trizact pads to ensure all scratches are removed, then work through Trizact pad grades all way to P3000, then use Belgom Alu manually. (If you don't start rough and work down, you tend to find that scratches which were not initially visible, become visible as the finish gets more shiny).

Needs lots of cloths on the final polishing (and Vienna Lime [not Alum !!] to remove the black residue).

If you only have a small area to do then you would probably be o.k. with fine, oiled wire wool then Belgom Alu. Forget teh Alum and just keep wiping the black goo off the surface regularly and before it has time to dry. Can be removed with thinners, and the thiners can be used as the lubricant on the wire wool aswell.

Based on reading historical threads on Polishing Aluminium - you will get approx 15 more replies - all with different preferences 😬

Dave

Edited by - DaveMorris on 4 Oct 2012 11:41:46