Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Got a BMW diff? - check your bolts

adz

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now have a plan for my car with CC which basically states.

With respect to the BMW differential and the contact with the de Dion tube:

There is no inherent safety issue.

A revised carrier for the dif has now been implemented for the race cars and the new builds.

This is now available for myself as and when I take the car into CC.

There will be a new mounting system available from April and should I wish to I can wait for that upgrade.

There are other pointers which include the need to have a check of the current situation and every 500 miles etc until one of the mods is implemented.

In short I will wait for the April version as the car will not be used that much in between unless global warming comes in with a vengeance.

The letter is very specific to my Chassis Number so obviously you need to find out where you are with this but I have to assume that any BMW car would be included.

There is a second note that talks about SV cars and the brake line which also has to be checked. No actual failures but it is a precaution in line with the diff issue.

It is great to have a solution and I thank them for that but not the time that it has taken not to fix the issue but talk !

If anyone wants to talk mail me with a number

alan

Glad Caterham has come through with their solutions. I am content that everyone with a BMW diff will now know to check their brake lines. Mine was closed by the impacts from the diff carrier and though the car has dual circuit brakes etc in extremis it could have caused me a serious problem. However, I think my concerns have been dealt with by the letters.

• Leadership Team

My letter(s) arrived in yesterdays post. For the diff I will probably wait till April, for the SV brake line issue, will get them to check that asap.

Seem to have got there eventually! *smile*

Got both letters. My brake line is ok, so will wait until April to have both permanent fixes done at the same time.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to getting this resolved.

Hopefully the reason for the delay until April is that they have some kind of validation program underway for the new design (accelerated durabililty test at MIRA or similar) - I'm sure they don't want to start updating cars, only to find further issues later on....

Great news……at last! *thumbup* Can someone tell me who qualifies for the letters/work to be carried out and what is actually being proposed? On holiday at the moment, hope I have the letters waiting for me when I get home. 🤔 Many, many thanks to all those who have worked so hard and to all those who have contributed on this forum. Without, I and I'm sure many others, would not have known this problem/potential serious problem even existed! *smile* MH

Quoting Alan Reeves: 
I now have a plan for my car with CC which basically states.

With respect to the BMW differential and the contact with the de Dion tube:

There is no inherent safety issue.

A revised carrier for the dif has now been implemented for the race cars and the new builds.

This is now available for myself as and when I take the car into CC.

There will be a new mounting system available from April and should I wish to I can wait for that upgrade.

There are other pointers which include the need to have a check of the current situation and every 500 miles etc until one of the mods is implemented.

In short I will wait for the April version as the car will not be used that much in between unless global warming comes in with a vengeance.

The letter is very specific to my Chassis Number so obviously you need to find out where you are with this but I have to assume that any BMW car would be included.

There is a second note that talks about SV cars and the brake line which also has to be checked. No actual failures but it is a precaution in line with the diff issue.

It is great to have a solution and I thank them for that but not the time that it has taken not to fix the issue but talk !

If anyone wants to talk mail me with a number

alan

I expect your reply will include the points as in the above quote, mine did. You could email CC if you want to be sure.

A question for all of you who have received letters from CC. Were your cars supplied with BMW diffs fitted as part of the original supply or were any of them retro fitted by CC or yourselves? My reason for asking is that I haven't yet received any notification from CC but have been advised that because my car was a retrofit by CC, these will follow on from the list of new cars first and then the retrofits. I'd be interested to hear if any of your letters apply to retrofit.

• Area Representative

72 days for this thread.

Forgive my ignorance (my Crossflow car has an Ital live axle) but is the brake pipe routing different between SV and S3 chassis cars?

After all the Academy cars will all be S3 chassis and they were modified in early October.

Perhaps I'm missing something here as my car isn't involved, but as VOSA state on their website isn't it just a matter of "Ffit differently routed brake line."

I did wonder about moving the brake lines around the DD tube when it was first mentioned, so if it's so easy, what is the problem?